A Twin Crisis Model Inspired by the Asian Crisis
In this paper, we propose a twin crises synthetic model. We show that there may be multiple equilibria on the exchange market as well as on the international financial one and emphasize the possible connections between currency and financial crises. On the exchange market, the currency devaluation is the outcome of a trade-off by the government in presence of implicit safety nets of the banking sector. The crisis occurs whenever the anticipated devaluation rate by the market is equal to the "optimal" devaluation rate of the government. As far as the international financial market is concerned, the passage from one equilibrium to another is triggered by the evolution of the ratio Currency Reserves/Short Term Debt as a fundamental factor. Combining bank run dynamics and fundamental factors, we aim at reconciling the two major interpretations of currency and banking crises, namely the fragility of emerging financial systems and the ex-post worsening of domestic fundamentals originating in debtors or domestic government moral hazard.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00422507/en/|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Pesenti, Paolo & Roubini, Nouriel, 1999.
"Paper tigers?: A model of the Asian crisis,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(7), pages 1211-1236, June.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti & Nouriel Roubini, 1998. "Paper tigers? A model of the Asian crisis," Research Paper 9822, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti & Nouriel Roubini, 1998. "Paper Tigers? A Model of the Asian Crisis," NBER Working Papers 6783, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arturo Bris & Yrjo Koskinen, 2000.
"Corporate Leverage And Currency Crises,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm139, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Oct 2008.
- Bris, Arturo & Koskinen, Yrjö, 2000. "Corporate Leverage and Currency Crises," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 367, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 02 Jul 2001.
- Robert Dekle & Kenneth M. Kletzer, 2001.
"Domestic Bank Regulation and Financial Crises: Theory and Empirical Evidence from East Asia,"
NBER Working Papers
8322, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Dekle & Kenneth Kletzer, 2002. "Domestic Bank Regulation and Financial Crises: Theory and Empirical Evidence from East Asia," NBER Chapters, in: Preventing Currency Crises in Emerging Markets, pages 507-558 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth Kletzer & Robert Dekle, 2001. "Domestic Bank Regulation and Financial Crises: Theory and Empirical Evidence From East Asia," IMF Working Papers 01/63, International Monetary Fund.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999.
"The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems,"
14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000.
"Las crisis gemelas: las causas de los problemas bancarios y de balanza de pagos
[The twin crises: Te causes of banking and balance of payments problems]," MPRA Paper 13842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roberto Chang & Andres Velasco, 1997.
"Financial fragility and the exchange rate regime,"
FRB Atlanta Working Paper No.
97-16, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Chang, R. & Velasco, A., 1998. "Financial Fragility and the Exchange Rate Regime," Working Papers 98-05, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Roberto Chang & Andres Velasco, 1998. "Financial Fragility and the Exchange Rate Regime," NBER Working Papers 6469, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Schneider & Aaron Tornell, 2004.
"Balance Sheet Effects, Bailout Guarantees and Financial Crises,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71, pages 883-913, 07.
- Martin Schneider & Aaron Tornell, 2000. "Balance SHeet Effects, Bailout Guarantees and Financial Crises," NBER Working Papers 8060, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00422507. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.