Les Structures De Gouvernances De La Chaine Transactionnelle Du Transport Fluvial De Conteneurs Sur Le Rhone
The modal share of container barging in French maritime ports (9% of TEU in Le Havre and 4,7% in Marseille in 2010) is significantly lower than elsewhere (32% in Rotterdam and 33% in Antwerp) (Blum, 2011). Some reports and studies explain the viscosity of container barging flows as a result of several factors, generally concentrated around the seaport community. In continuation of previous seminal works, this paper adopts a neo-institutional approach (Williamson, 1985; 1996) of container barging to understand how the factors generating this viscosity are managed in the Rhône-Saône river basin. Section 1 describes the characteristics of the transaction of container barge transport. Section 2 deals with observed governance structures (Logirhône and RSC) of this transaction chain in the Rhône-Saône river basin and shows how vertical integration helps to control it. Section 3 is devoted to the transaction' attributes (asset specificity, frequency, uncertainty) of this chain. It confirms Williamson (1996) remediableness criterion, i.e. that the observed governance structure of a given transaction is presumed efficient and aligned to its attributes. Finally, it shows that the development of container barge transport on the Rhône-Saône basin in France is not impeded by its degree of integration.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:|| Published in Maurice Bernadet, Antoine Frémont. Fleuves et territoires, Institut de recherche du Val de Saône-Mâconnais, pp.229-244, 2014, 978-2952758550. |
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00741130v2|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grossman, Sanford J. & Hart, Oliver D., 1986.
"The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration,"
3450060, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver D, 1986. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 691-719, August.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver, 1985. "The Cost and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 70, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Oliver Hart & Sanford Grossman, 1985. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Working papers 372, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1988. "The Logic of Economic Organization," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(1), pages 65-93, Spring.
- Fischman, M. & Lendjel, E., 2012. "Changements institutionnels et efficience de l’affrètement au voyage dans le transport fluvial de marchandises," Recherche Transports Sécurité, Editions NecPlus, vol. 2012(03-04), pages 228-247, December.
- Oliver E. Williamson, 2010.
"Transaction Cost Economics: The Natural Progression,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 100(3), pages 673-90, June.
- Williamson, Oliver E., 2009. "Transaction Cost Economics: The Natural Progression," Nobel Prize in Economics documents 2009-3, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Zhao, Wenjuan & Goodchild, Anne V., 2010. "The impact of truck arrival information on container terminal rehandling," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 327-343, May.
- Eccles, Robert G., 1981. "The quasifirm in the construction industry," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 335-357, December.
- Klein, Benjamin, 1988. "Vertical Integration as Organizational Ownership: The Fisher Body-General Motors Relationship Revisited," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(1), pages 199-213, Spring.
- Richard O Goss, 1999. "On the Distribution of Economic Rent in Seaports," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 1(1), pages 1-9, September.
- Baumol, William J, 1982. "Contestable Markets: An Uprising in the Theory of Industry Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Joskow, Paul L, 1987. "Contract Duration and Relationship-Specific Investments: Empirical Evidence from Coal Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(1), pages 168-85, March.
- Qi Fu & Liming Liu & Zhou Xu, 2010. "Port resources rationalization for better container barge services in Hong Kong," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(6), pages 543-561, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:halshs-00741130. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.