Pourquoi les distributeurs échouent ou réussissent à l'étranger ?
This paper examine at the meso and macro level the institutional and economic elements determining success and failure of global retailers abroad trough the trajectories of Wal-Mart and Carrefour. Three kind of explanations are considered : the time and modalities of entry and development, the factors that create a market power position and the labor standards. The two retailers are note identically affected by those factors. That suggest that the process of hybridization between different varieties of capitalism and of productive models plays a crucial role as shaping international trajectories of retailers.
|Date of creation:||26 Jul 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00165653|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romer, Paul, 1993. "Idea gaps and object gaps in economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 543-573, December.
- Thomas Reardon & Spencer Henson & Julio Berdegué, 2007. "'Proactive fast-tracking' diffusion of supermarkets in developing countries: implications for market institutions and trade," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(4), pages 399-431, July.
- Neil M. Coe & Neil Wrigley, 2007. "Host economy impacts of transnational retail: the research agenda," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(4), pages 341-371, July.
- Silvia Sacchetti & Roger Sugden, 2003. "The Governance of Networks and Economic Power: The Nature and Impact of Subcontracting Relationships," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(5), pages 669-692, December.
- Cédric Durand, 2005. "Los límites de la IED como fuente de ideas para el crecimiento de las economías en desarrollo," Post-Print hal-00166840, HAL.
- Palmer, Mark, 2005. "Crossing Threshold Periods in the Retail Life Cycle:: Insights from Wal-Mart International," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 717-729, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cepnwp:hal-00165653. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.