Direct Simultaneous Inference in Additive Models and its Application to Model Undernutrition
This article proposes a simple and fast approach to build simultaneous confi dence bands and perform specification tests for smooth curves in additive models. The method allows for handling of spatially heterogeneous functions and its derivatives as well as heteroscedasticity in the data. It is applied to study the determinants of chronic undernutrition of Kenyan children, with particular focus on the highly non-linear age pattern in undernutrition. Model estimation using the mixed model representation of penalized splines in combination with simultaneous probability calculations based on the volume-of-tube formula enable the simultaneous inference directly, i.e. without resampling methods. Finite sample properties of simultaneous con fidence bands and specifi cation tests are investigated in simulations. To facilitate and enhance its application, the method has been implemented in the R package AdaptFitOS.
|Date of creation:||07 Dec 2010|
|Date of revision:||21 Jul 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Platz der Goettinger Sieben 3; D-37073 Goettingen, GERMANY|
Phone: +49 551 39 14066
Fax: + 49 551 39 14059
Web page: http://www.uni-goettingen.de/en/82144.html
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Härdle, Wolfgang & Huet, Sylvie & Mammen, Enno & Sperlich, Stefan, 2001.
"Bootstrap Inference in Semiparametric Generalized Additive Models,"
Finance Working Papers
01-3, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- H rdle, Wolfgang & Huet, Sylvie & Mammen, Enno & Sperlich, Stefan, 2004. "Bootstrap Inference In Semiparametric Generalized Additive Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(02), pages 265-300, April.
- Sperlich, Stefan & Mammen, Enno & Huet, Sylvie & Hardle, Wolfgang, 2000. "Bootstrap inference in semiparametric generalized additive models," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS 10079, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Ruppert,David & Wand,M. P. & Carroll,R. J., 2003. "Semiparametric Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521780506, Junio.
- Haerdle,Wolfgang & Bowman,Adrian, 1986. "Bootstrapping in nonparametric regression: Local adaptive smoothing and confidence bands," Discussion Paper Serie A 71, University of Bonn, Germany.
- M. Ruth & K. Donaghy & P. Kirshen, 2006. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Regional Climate Change and Variability, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Gerda Claeskens & Tatyana Krivobokova & Jean D. Opsomer, 2009. "Asymptotic properties of penalized spline estimators," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 96(3), pages 529-544.
- Maindonald, John, 2006. "Generalized Additive Models: An Introduction with R," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 16(b03).
- Ruppert,David & Wand,M. P. & Carroll,R. J., 2003. "Semiparametric Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521785167, Junio.
- Osmani, R.S., 1990. "Food Deprivation and Undernutrition in Rural Bangladesh," Research Paper 82, World Institute for Development Economics Research.
- Jing Wang & Lijian Yang, 2009. "Efficient and fast spline-backfitted kernel smoothing of additive models," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 61(3), pages 663-690, September.
- Jianqing Fan, 2000. "Simultaneous Confidence Bands and Hypothesis Testing in Varying-coefficient Models," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 27(4), pages 715-731.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & S. Statev, 2006. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00260898, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:got:gotcrc:050. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dominik Noe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.