Rent Seeking at Plant Level: An Application of the Card-de la Rica Tenure Model to Workers in German Works Councils
Low-skilled workers enjoy a large wage advantage in German works council establishments. Since job tenure is also longer for these workers, one explanation might be rent-seeking. If the premium is a compensating wage differential (or a return to unmeasured ability), it should not lead to higher tenure; whereas if it is (partly) rent, lower quits should lead to longer tenure at plants with works councils. Our analysis uses the Card and de la Rica (2006) tenure model, and although the association between skill level and the works council tenure gap is positive it fails to achieve statistical significance in a single equation framework. However, running the tenure equation for separate skill quintiles, we find that those with the highest wage premium have the greatest tenure. As a result, although we cannot be certain that the works council wage mark-up of low-skilled workers is necessarily a non-competitive rent, the observed pattern of job tenure across different skill subsamples is not after all inconsistent with rent-seeking behavior.
|Date of creation:||May 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Dias da Silva 165; 3004-512 Coimbra|
Fax: + 351 239 40 35 11
Web page: http://www.uc.pt/en/feuc/gemf/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John T. Addison & Paulino Teixeira & Thomas Zwick, 2010.
"German Works Councils and the Anatomy of Wages,"
Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 63(2), pages 247-270, January.
- John T. Addison & Paulino Teixeira & Thomas Zwick, 2007. "German Works Councils and The Anatomy of Wages," Working Paper Series 13_07, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jul 2007.
- John T. Addison & Paulino Teixeira & Thomas Zwick, 2008. "German Works Councils and the Anatomy of Wages," Working Paper Series 11_08, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- David Card & Sara De La Rica, 2006. "Firm-Level Contracting and the Structure of Wages in Spain," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 59(4), pages 573-592, July.
- repec:rim:rimwps:13-07 is not listed on IDEAS
- Card, David, 1996. "The Effect of Unions on the Structure of Wages: A Longitudinal Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 957-979, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gmf:wpaper:2009-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Seiça)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.