Cadaveric Vs. Live-Donor Kidney Transplants: The Interaction Of Institutions And Inequality
“In 1991, the World Health Assembly approved a set of Guiding Principles which emphasize voluntary donation, non-commercialization and a preference for cadavers over living donors” (World Health Organization). We investigate whether factors such as inequality, rule of law and religion have any effect on the ratio of cadaveric transplants to all transplants. Using an unbalanced annual dataset from 64 countries over 1993-2004, we show particularly for developing countries that an improvement in equality and rule of law encourage cadaveric kidney transplants. Religion also plays an important role in that relationship.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Adam Smith Building, Glasgow G12 8RT|
Phone: 0141 330 4618
Fax: 0141 330 4940
Web page: http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/business/research/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Genicot, Garance, 2002. "Bonded labor and serfdom: a paradox of voluntary choice," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 101-127, February.
- Roth, Alvin & Ãœnver, M. Utku & SÃ¶nmez, Tayfun, 2004.
2580565, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alvin E. Roth & Tayfun Sonmez & M. Utku Unver, 2005.
"Efficient Kidney Exchange: Coincidence of Wants in a Structured Market,"
NBER Working Papers
11402, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alvin E Roth & Tayfun Sönmez & M. Utku Ünver, 2005. "Efficient Kidney Exchange: Coincidence of Wants in a Structured Market," Levine's Bibliography 784828000000000126, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Alvin E. Roth & Tayfun Sönmez & M. Utku Ünver, 2005. "Efficient Kidney Exchange: Coincidence of Wants in a Structured Market," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 621, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Alvn E. Roth & Tayfun Sonmez & M. Utku Unver, 2005. "Efficient Kidney Exchange: Coincidence of Wants in a Structured Market," Microeconomics 0506001, EconWPA, revised 01 Jun 2005.
- Stephen Knack & Philip Keefer, 1995. "Institutions And Economic Performance: Cross-Country Tests Using Alternative Institutional Measures," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(3), pages 207-227, November.
- Bardhan, Pranab, 2005. "Law and Economics in the Tropics: Some Reflections," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 65-74, March.
- repec:pit:wpaper:263 is not listed on IDEAS
- Byrne, Margaret M. & Thompson, Peter, 2001. "A positive analysis of financial incentives for cadaveric organ donation," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 69-83, January.
- Ligon, Ethan, 2005. "Formal Markets and Informal Insurance," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 75-88, March.
- Basu, Kaushik, 2000.
"Prelude to Political Economy: A Study of the Social and Political Foundations of Economics,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198296713.
- Basu, Kaushik, 2003. "Prelude to Political Economy: A Study of the Social and Political Foundations of Economics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199261857.
- Buscaglia, Edgardo & Stephan, Paul B., 2005. "An empirical assessment of the impact of formal versus informal dispute resolution on poverty: A governance-based approach," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 89-106, March.
- Bardhan, Pranab & Rudra, Ashok, 1981. "Terms and Conditions of Labour Contracts in Agriculture: Results of a Survey in West Bengal, 1979," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 43(1), pages 89-111, February.
- Bell, Clive, 1988. "Credit markets and interlinked transactions," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 16, pages 763-830 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gla:glaewp:2005_25. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jeanette Findlay)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.