Democracy of "Taxation-Redistribution" and Peacetime Budget Deficit
The link between an introduction of the universal suffrage and the growth of government spending has been established in some literature (Meltzer, Richard, 1981, Aidt et al., 2006, Funk and Guthmann, 2006). In this article we try to identify a more detailed mechanism behind that link. So, we addressed to the conflict of interest of bureaucrats, and of the state subsidy beneficiaries. Historically the growth of government spending might be traced to the emergence of mainstream left parties, which openly stood in favor of the nanny state and government help from the cradle to the grave as a priority over the provision of pure public goods. Finally we check the hypothesis that the growth of government care correlates with the chronic illnesses of the modern state finance like budget deficit, state debt and inflation.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (495) 629-6413
Fax: (495) 203-8816
Web page: http://www.iep.ru/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Acemoglu, Daron & Robinson, James A, 2006.
"Persistence of Power, Elites and Institutions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5603, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tavares, Jose & Wacziarg, Romain, 2001. "How democracy affects growth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(8), pages 1341-1378, August.
- Konstantin Yanovskiy & Sergey Shulgin, 2013.
"Institutions, Democracy And Growth In The Very Long Run,"
0082, Gaidar Institute for Economic Policy, revised 2013.
- Konstantin Yanovskiy & Sergey Shulgin, 2013. "Institutions, democracy and growth in the very long run," Acta Oeconomica, Akadémiai Kiadó, Hungary, vol. 63(4), pages 493-510, December.
- Konstantin Yanovsky & Sergey Shulgin, 2012. "Institutions, Democracy And Growth In The Very Long Run," Working Papers 0058, Gaidar Institute for Economic Policy, revised 2013.
- Smith, Vernon L, 1980. "Experiments with a Decentralized Mechanism for Public Good Decisions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(4), pages 584-99, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gai:wpaper:0078. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Hugues)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.