Varieties of Interpersonal Compatibility of Beliefs
The logic of common belief does not always reflect the logic of individual beliefs. In particular, the Negative Introspection property fails at the common belief level, that is, it can happen that neither is A commonly believed nor is it common belief that A is not commonly believed. Indeed Negative Introspection of common belief involves restrictions on individual beliefs of an intersubjective nature. We consider a number of interpersonal restrictions on beliefs and study their relationship. We also characterize Negative Introspection of common belief in terms of interpersonal properties of individual beliefs. All the results are proved syntactically.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: University of California Davis - Department of Economics. One Shields Ave., California 95616-8578|
Phone: (530) 752-0741
Fax: (530) 752-9382
Web page: http://www.econ.ucdavis.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- E. Ray Canterbery, 1984. "Introduction," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 7(1), pages 4-6, October.
- Robert J Aumann, 1999. "Agreeing to Disagree," Levine's Working Paper Archive 512, David K. Levine.
- LISMONT, Luc & MONGIN, Philippe, 1994.
"On the Logic of Common Belief and Common Knowledge,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1994005, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lismont, L. & Mongin, P., . "On the logic of common belief and common knowledge," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1104, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ronald Fagin & Joseph Y. Halpern & Yoram Moses & Moshe Y. Vardi, 2003. "Reasoning About Knowledge," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262562006, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fth:caldec:99-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.