Determinants of poverty in Egypt, 1997
Poverty profiles are a useful way of summarizing information on the levels of poverty and the characteristics of the poor in a society. For Egypt, while there has been some work on a descriptive analysis of the characteristics of the poor, to our knowledge, there is no precursor to an empirical modeling of the determinants of poverty using nationally representative data. In this paper, we have sought to extend the descriptive analysis of the Egypt poverty profile presented in Datt, Jolliffe, and Sharma (1998) by modeling the determinants of poverty, using data from the 1997 Egypt Integrated Household Survey. A key conclusion of our study has to do with the important instrumental role of education in alleviating poverty in Egypt. Increasing average years of schooling, as well as improving the level of parents education, is indicated to have large impacts on average living standards and poverty levels.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ifpri.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:dgr:kubcen:19926 is not listed on IDEAS
- Oliver LINTON, .
"Applied nonparametric methods,"
Statistic und Oekonometrie
9312, Humboldt Universitaet Berlin.
- Härdle, W.K., 1992.
"Applied Nonparametric Methods,"
1992-6, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- HÄRDLE, Wolfgang, 1992. "Applied nonparametric methods," CORE Discussion Papers 1992003, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hardle, W., 1992. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Papers 9206, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Wolfgang Hardle & Oliver Linton, 1994. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1069, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hardle, W., 1992. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Papers 9204, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Glewwe, P., 1990.
"Investigating The Determinants Of Household Welfare In Cote D'Ivoire,"
71, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Glewwe, Paul, 1991. "Investigating the determinants of household welfare in Cote d'Ivoire," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 307-337, April.
- Ravallion, Martin, 1996.
"Issues in Measuring and Modelling Poverty,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(438), pages 1328-43, September.
- Lanjouw, Peter & Ravallion, Martin & DEC, 1994.
"Poverty and household size,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1332, The World Bank.
- Jolliffe, Dean, 1997. "Whose education matters in the determination of household income," FCND discussion papers 39, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Howes, Stephen & Lanjouw, Jean Olson, 1998. "Does Sample Design Matter for Poverty Rate Comparisons?," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 44(1), pages 99-109, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpr:fcnddp:75. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.