Imperfect monitoring and the discounting of inside money
One of the fundamental questions concerning inside money is whether its issuers should be regulated and how. This paper evaluates the efficiency of one prevalent regulatory recommendation -- a requirement that private issuers redeem inside money on demand at par -- in a random-matching model of money where the issuers of inside money are only imperfectly monitored. I find that for sufficiently imperfect monitoring, a par redemption requirement leads to lower social welfare than if private money were redeemed at a discount. A central message of the paper is that if inside money and outside money are not perfect substitutes for one another, as is the case if there is sufficiently imperfect monitoring, a par redemption requirement may not be socially optimal because such a requirement effectively binds them to circulate as if they are. Such an outcome is a version of Gresham's law that bad money drives out good money.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.federalreserve.gov/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/feds/fedsorder.html|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marimon, Ramon & Nicolini, Juan Pablo & Teles, Pedro, 2003.
"Inside-Outside Money Competition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4039, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ramon Marimon & Juan Pablo Nicolini & Pedro Teles, 2003. "Inside-outside money competition," Working Paper Series WP-03-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Juan Pablo Nicolini & Ramon Marimon & Pedro Teles, 2001. "Inside Outside Money Competition," Department of Economics Working Papers 004, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Bullard, James & Smith, Bruce D., 2003.
"The value of inside and outside money,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 389-417, March.
- Cavalcanti, Ricardo de O & Wallace, Neil, 1999.
"Inside and Outside Money as Alternative Media of Exchange,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(3), pages 443-57, August.
- Ricardo de O. Cavalcanti & Neil Wallace, 1999. "Inside and outside money as alternative media of exchange," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 443-468.
- Costas Azariadis & James Bullard & Bruce Smith, 2000.
"Private and public circulating liabilities,"
2000-012, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- David C. Mills, Jr., 2006.
"A model in which outside and inside money are essential,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2006-38, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mills, David C., 2007. "A Model In Which Outside And Inside Money Are Essential," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 347-366, June.
- Stephen D. Williamson, 1999.
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 469-499.
- Arthur J. Rolnick & Bruce D. Smith & Warren E. Weber, 1998.
"Lessons from a laissez-faire payments system: the Suffolk Banking System, 1825-58,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 105-116.
- Arthur J. Rolnick & Bruce D. Smith & Warren E. Weber, 1998. "Lessons from a laissez-faire payments system: the Suffolk Banking System (1825-58)," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Sum, pages 11-21.
- King, Robert G., 1983. "On the economics of private money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 127-158.
- Shouyong Shi, 1995.
"Money and Prices: A Model of Search and Bargaining,"
916, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Shi Shougong, 1995. "Money and Prices: A Model of Search and Bargaining," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 467-496, December.
- Klein, Benjamin, 1974. "The Competitive Supply of Money," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 6(4), pages 423-53, November.
- Rao Aiyagari, S. & Wallace, Neil & Wright, Randall, 1996.
"Coexistence of money and interest-bearing securities,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 397-419, June.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & Neil Wallace & Randall Wright, 1996. "Coexistence of money and interest-bearing securities," Working Papers 550, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Ricardo de O. Cavalcanti & Neil Wallace, 1999. "A model of private bank-note issue," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 2(1), pages 104-136, January.
- Rolnick, Arthur J. & Weber, Warren E., 1988. "Explaining the demand for free bank notes," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 47-71, January.
- Trejos, Alberto & Wright, Randall, 1995. "Search, Bargaining, Money, and Prices," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(1), pages 118-41, February.
- Arthur J. Rolnick & Warren E. Weber, 1988. "Explaining the demand for free bank notes," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 21-35.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedgfe:2007-58. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kris Vajs)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.