Close but not a central bank: The New York Clearing House and issues of clearing house loan certificates
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Tallman, Ellis W. & Moen, Jon R., 2012.
"Liquidity creation without a central bank: Clearing house loan certificates in the banking panic of 1907,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 277-291.
- Ellis W. Tallman & Jon R. Moen, 2007. "Liquidity creation without a lender of last resort: clearinghouse loan certificates in the Banking Panic of 1907," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2006-23, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Ellis W. Tallman & Jon R. Moen, 2010. "Liquidity creation without a lender of last resort: clearing house loan certificates in the Banking Panic of 1907," Working Papers (Old Series) 1010, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Gorton, Gary, 1985. "Clearinghouses and the Origin of Central Banking in the United States," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 45(02), pages 277-283, June.
- Wicker,Elmus, 2000. "Banking Panics of the Gilded Age," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521770231, July - De.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Moen, Jon & Tallman, Ellis, 2018. "Outside Lending in the New York City Call Loan Market," MPRA Paper 88733, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gary Gorton & Ellis W. Tallman, 2016. "How Did Pre-Fed Banking Panics End?," NBER Working Papers 22036, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary Gorton & Ellis W. Tallman, 2016. "Too Big to Fail before the Fed," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 106(5), pages 528-532, May.
- Christopher Hoag, 2015. "Clearinghouse Loan Certificates as Interbank Loans," Working Papers 1504, Trinity College, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2015.
- Jaremski, Matthew, 2015.
"Clearinghouses as credit regulators before the fed?,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 17(C), pages 10-21.
- Jaremski, Matthew, 2014. "Clearinghouses as Credit Regulators Before the Fed?," Working Papers 2014-06, Department of Economics, Colgate University, revised 12 Jun 2014.
- Christopher Hoag, 2015. "Clearinghouse Loan Certificates as a Lender of Last Resort," Working Papers 1503, Trinity College, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2015.
More about this item
KeywordsFinancial crises ; Lenders of last resort ; Clearinghouses (Banking) ; Interbank market;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-BAN-2013-06-09 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2013-06-09 (Central Banking)
- NEP-HIS-2013-06-09 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-MON-2013-06-09 (Monetary Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedcwp:1308. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (4D Library). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/frbclus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.