Close but not a central bank: The New York Clearing House and issues of clearing house loan certificates
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Tallman, Ellis W. & Moen, Jon R., 2012.
"Liquidity creation without a central bank: Clearing house loan certificates in the banking panic of 1907,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 277-291.
- Ellis W. Tallman & Jon R. Moen, 2007. "Liquidity creation without a lender of last resort: clearinghouse loan certificates in the Banking Panic of 1907," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2006-23, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Ellis W. Tallman & Jon R. Moen, 2010. "Liquidity creation without a lender of last resort: clearing house loan certificates in the Banking Panic of 1907," Working Paper 1010, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Gorton, Gary, 1985. "Clearinghouses and the Origin of Central Banking in the United States," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 45(02), pages 277-283, June.
- Wicker,Elmus, 2000. "Banking Panics of the Gilded Age," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521770231, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gary Gorton & Ellis W. Tallman, 2016. "How Did Pre-Fed Banking Panics End?," NBER Working Papers 22036, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary Gorton & Ellis W. Tallman, 2016. "Too Big to Fail before the Fed," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 106(5), pages 528-532, May.
- Christopher Hoag, 2015. "Clearinghouse Loan Certificates as Interbank Loans," Working Papers 1504, Trinity College, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2015.
- Jaremski, Matthew, 2015.
"Clearinghouses as credit regulators before the fed?,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 17(C), pages 10-21.
- Jaremski, Matthew, 2014. "Clearinghouses as Credit Regulators Before the Fed?," Working Papers 2014-06, Department of Economics, Colgate University, revised 12 Jun 2014.
- Christopher Hoag, 2015. "Clearinghouse Loan Certificates as a Lender of Last Resort," Working Papers 1503, Trinity College, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2015.
More about this item
KeywordsFinancial crises ; Lenders of last resort ; Clearinghouses (Banking) ; Interbank market;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2013-06-09 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2013-06-09 (Central Banking)
- NEP-HIS-2013-06-09 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-MON-2013-06-09 (Monetary Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedcwp:1308. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (4D Library). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/frbclus.html .