A tractable estimator for general mixed multinomial logit models
The mixed logit is a framework for incorporating unobserved heterogeneity in discrete choice models in a general way. These models are difficult to estimate because they result in a complicated incomplete data likelihood. This paper proposes a new approach for estimating mixed logit models. The estimator is easily implemented as iteratively re-weighted least squares: the well known solution for complete data likelihood logits. The main benefit of this approach is that it requires drastically fewer evaluations of the simulated likelihood function, making it significantly faster than conventional methods that rely on numerically approximating the gradient. The method is rooted in a generalized expectation and maximization (GEM) algorithm, so it is asymptotically consistent, efficient, and globally convergent.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.clevelandfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dankmar Böhning, 1992. "Multinomial logistic regression algorithm," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 197-200, March.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521766555 is not listed on IDEAS
- Peter Arcidiacono & John Bailey Jones, 2003.
"Finite Mixture Distributions, Sequential Likelihood and the EM Algorithm,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(3), pages 933-946, 05.
- Arcidiacono, Peter & Jones, John B., 2000. "Finite Mixture Distribution, Sequential Likelihood, and the EM Algorithm," Working Papers 00-16, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Bernal, Raquel & Keane, Michael P., 2010. "Quasi-structural estimation of a model of childcare choices and child cognitive ability production," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 156(1), pages 164-189, May.
- Nielsen, Soren Feodor, 2000. "On simulated EM algorithms," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 267-292, June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521747387 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dankmar Böhning & Bruce Lindsay, 1988. "Monotonicity of quadratic-approximation algorithms," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 40(4), pages 641-663, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedcwp:1219. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lee Faulhaber)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.