The effect of foreclosures on nearby housing prices: supply or disamenity?
A number of studies have measured the negative price effects of foreclosed residential properties on nearby property sales. However, only one study beside this one addresses the mechanism responsible for these effects. I measure separate effects for different types of foreclosed properties and use the estimates to decompose he effects of foreclosures on nearby home prices into two components. One component is due to the additional available housing supply and the other is due to a disamenity stemming from deferred maintenance or vacancy. I estimate that each extra unit of supply decreases prices within 0.05 miles by about 1.2% while the disamenity stemming from a foreclosed property is near zero.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:||01 Sep 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1455 East 6th St., Cleveland OH 44114|
Web page: http://www.clevelandfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schuetz, Jenny & Been, Vicki & Ellen, Ingrid Gould, 2008. "Neighborhood effects of concentrated mortgage foreclosures," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 306-319, December.
- Christopher L. Foote & Kristopher S. Gerardi & Paul S. Willen, 2008.
"Negative equity and foreclosure: theory and evidence,"
Public Policy Discussion Paper
08-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Foote, Christopher L. & Gerardi, Kristopher & Willen, Paul S., 2008. "Negative equity and foreclosure: Theory and evidence," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 234-245, September.
- Leigh Linden & Jonah E. Rockoff, 2008. "Estimates of the Impact of Crime Risk on Property Values from Megan's Laws," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(3), pages 1103-27, June.
- Zhenguo Lin & Eric Rosenblatt & Vincent Yao, 2009. "Spillover Effects of Foreclosures on Neighborhood Property Values," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 38(4), pages 387-407, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedcwp:1011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (4D Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.