Comment on Eggertsson, "What fiscal policy is effective at zero interest rates?"
Gauti B. Eggertsson's paper (published in NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2010) represents an important contribution to the analysis of fiscal policy in the New Keynesian model when the zero lower bound on the nominal interest rate is binding. The paper accomplishes a great deal. It analyzes two types of taxes on capital and labor, the investment tax credit, a sales tax, and two types of government spending. It deserves to be an important reference on fiscal policy in a binding zero lower bound. In my discussion, I focus on the subset of Eggertsson's results that initially surprised me and that I think will surprise many other readers too.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.frbatlanta.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christiano, Lawrence J. & Trabandt, Mathias & Walentin, Karl, 2010.
"DSGE Models for Monetary Policy Analysis,"
Handbook of Monetary Economics,
in: Benjamin M. Friedman & Michael Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 7, pages 285-367
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Mathias Trabandt & Karl Walentin, 2010. "DSGE Models for Monetary Policy Analysis," NBER Working Papers 16074, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Mathias Trabandt & Karl Walentin, 2010. "DSGE models for monetary policy analysis," CQER Working Paper 2010-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Smets, Frank & Wouters, Rafael, 2007.
"Shocks and Frictions in US Business Cycles: A Bayesian DSGE Approach,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6112, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Frank Smets & Rafael Wouters, 2007. "Shocks and Frictions in US Business Cycles: A Bayesian DSGE Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(3), pages 586-606, June.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2007. "Shocks and Frictions in US Business Cycles : a Bayesian DSGE Approach," Working Paper Research 109, National Bank of Belgium.
- Smets, Frank & Wouters, Raf, 2007. "Shocks and frictions in US business cycles: a Bayesian DSGE approach," Working Paper Series 0722, European Central Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedacq:2010-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Meredith Rector)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.