Essays on Finnish Municipal Finance and Intergovernmental Grants
This PhD thesis is a collection of studies on Finnish municipal expenditures, revenues and intergovernmental grants. The main purpose of the study was to analyse the municipal expenditure variation between the matching grants system and the formula based grants system. The aim was also to analyse the expenditure effect of grants compared to that of taxable incomes and to reveal possible causal interrelationships between municipalities' revenues and expenditures. The first chapter introduces the theoretical aspects of local government finance. The second chapter analyses municipal expenditures using economic and demographic factors as explanatory variables. Chapter three analyses the effect of noninstitutional care on municipalities' elderly care expenditures and Finnish Social Security Institution expenditures. Chapter four examines the inter-temporal causal links between municipal own source revenue and spending decisions. Chapter five analyses the same causal links in subsections of municipalities, formed using population and economic condition as criteria.
|Date of creation:||08 Nov 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +358 295 519 400
Fax: +358 295 519 599
Web page: http://www.vatt.fi/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mankiw, N. Gregory, 1987.
"The optimal collection of seigniorage : Theory and evidence,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 327-341, September.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 1987. "The Optimal Collection of Seigniorage: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 2270, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & Harvey S. Rosen, 1991.
"Municipal Labor Demand in the Presence of Uncertainty: An Econometric Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
3516, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Rosen, Harvey S, 1991. "Municipal Labor Demand in the Presence of Uncertainty: An Econometric Approach," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 9(3), pages 276-93, July.
- Holtz-Eakin, D. & Rosen, H.S., 1989. "Municipal Labor Demand In The Presence Of Uncertainty: An Econometric Approach," Discussion Papers 1989_17, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Abel, Andrew B & Blanchard, Olivier J, 1986.
"The Present Value of Profits and Cyclical Movements in Investment,"
Econometric Society, vol. 54(2), pages 249-73, March.
- Andrew B. Abel & Olivier J. Blanchard, 1983. "The Present Value of Profits and Cyclical Movements in Investment," NBER Working Papers 1122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bergström, Pål & Dahlberg, Matz & Johansson, Eva, 1998. "Municipal labour demand," Working Paper Series 1998:1, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Hall, Robert E, 1978. "Stochastic Implications of the Life Cycle-Permanent Income Hypothesis: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 971-87, December.
- Matz Dahlberg & Eva Johansson, 1998. "The revenues-expenditures nexus: panel data evidence from Swedish municipalities," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(10), pages 1379-1386.
- Holtz-Eakin Douglas & Rosen Harvey S. & Tilly Schuyler, 1994.
"Intertemporal Analysis of State and Local Government Spending: Theory and Tests,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 159-174, March.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & Harvey S. Rosen & Schuyler Tilly, 1993. "Intertemporal Analysis of State and Local Government Spending: Theory ad Tests," NBER Working Papers 4261, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & Harvey S. Rosen, 1989. "Intertemporal analysis of state and local government spending: theory and tests," Working Papers 89-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Barro, Robert J, 1979.
"On the Determination of the Public Debt,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 940-71, October.
- Filimon, Radu & Romer, Thomas & Rosenthal, Howard, 1982. "Asymmetric information and agenda control : The bases of monopoly power in public spending," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 51-70, February.
- Dahlberg, Matz & Johansson, Eva, 1997.
"An Examination of the Dynamic Behavior of Local Governments Using GMM Bootstrapping Methods,"
Working Paper Series
1997:11, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Matz Dahlberg & Eva Johansson, 2000. "An examination of the dynamic behaviour of local governments using GMM bootstrapping methods," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(4), pages 401-416.
- Dahlberg, Matz & Lindström , Tomas, 1996. "Are Local Governments Governed by Forward Looking Decision Makers?," Working Paper Series 1996:20, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Alan T. Peacock & Jack Wiseman, 1979. "Approaches To the Analysis of Government Expenditure Growth," Public Finance Review, , vol. 7(1), pages 3-23, January.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Newey, Whitney & Rosen, Harvey S, 1988.
"Estimating Vector Autoregressions with Panel Data,"
Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1371-95, November.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate IV estimation of VAR in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTZ00185, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
- Borge, Lars-Erik & Rattso, Jorn & Sorensen, Rune, 1995. " Local Government Service Production: The Politics of Allocative Sluggishness," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 82(1-2), pages 135-57, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fer:resrep:93. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.