Economies of Density, Network Size and Spatial Scope in the European Airline Industry
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- McFadden, Daniel, 1978. "Cost, Revenue, and Profit Functions," Histoy of Economic Thought Chapters, in: Fuss, Melvyn & McFadden, Daniel (ed.),Production Economics: A Dual Approach to Theory and Applications, volume 1, chapter 1, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought.
- Papke, Leslie E. & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2005. "A computational trick for delta-method standard errors," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 86(3), pages 413-417, March.
- Mohring, Herbert, 1972. "Optimization and Scale Economies in Urban Bus Transportation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(4), pages 591-604, September.
- Baumol, William J, 1982. "Contestable Markets: An Uprising in the Theory of Industry Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Severin Borenstein, 1992.
"The Evolution of U.S. Airline Competition,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(2), pages 45-73, Spring.
- Borenstein, S., 1991. "The Evolution of U.S. Airline Competition," Papers 389, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Hansen, Mark M. & Gillen, David & Djafarian-Tehrani, Reza, 2001. "Aviation infrastructure performance and airline cost: a statistical cost estimation approach," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Leonardo J. Basso & Sergio R. Jara-Díaz, 2005. "Calculation of Economies of Spatial Scope from Transport Cost Functions with Aggregate Output with an Application to the Airline Industry," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 39(1), pages 25-52, January.
- Ng, Charles K & Seabright, Paul, 2001. "Competition, Privatisation and Productive Efficiency: Evidence from the Airline Industry," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(473), pages 591-619, July.
- Baltagi, Badi H & Griffin, James M & Rich, Daniel P, 1995. "Airline Deregulation: The Cost Pieces of the Puzzle," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(1), pages 245-260, February.
- Richard H. Spady & Ann F. Friedlaender, 1978. "Hedonic Cost Functions for the Regulated Trucking Industry," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 9(1), pages 159-179, Spring.
- John C. Panzar & Robert D. Willig, 1977. "Economies of Scale in Multi-Output Production," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 91(3), pages 481-493.
- Douglas W. Caves & Laurits R. Christensen & Michael W. Tretheway, 1984. "Economies of Density versus Economies of Scale: Why Trunk and Local Service Airline Costs Differ," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(4), pages 471-489, Winter.
- Panzar, John C & Willig, Robert D, 1981. "Economies of Scope," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 268-272, May.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Leonardo J. Basso & Sergio R. Jara-Díaz & William G. Waters, 2011. "Cost Functions for Transport Firms," Chapters, in: André de Palma & Robin Lindsey & Emile Quinet & Roger Vickerman (ed.), A Handbook of Transport Economics, chapter 12, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Romero-Hernandez, Manuel & Salgado, Hugo, 2005. "Economies of Density, Network Size and Spatial Scope in the European Airline Industry," Institute of Transportation Studies, Research Reports, Working Papers, Proceedings qt9609m6hs, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Berkeley.
- Jara-Díaz, Sergio R. & Cortés, Cristián E. & Morales, Gabriela A., 2013. "Explaining changes and trends in the airline industry: Economies of density, multiproduct scale, and spatial scope," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 13-26.
- Batarce, Marco, 2016. "Estimation of urban bus transit marginal cost without cost data," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 90(C), pages 241-262.
- Leonardo J. Basso & Sergio R. Jara-Díaz, 2006. "Are Returns to Scale with Variable Network Size Adequate for Transport Industry Structure Analysis?," Transportation Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(3), pages 259-268, August.
- Leonardo Basso & Sergio Jara-Díaz, 2006. "Distinguishing Multiproduct Economies of Scale from Economies of Density on a Fixed-Size Transport Network," Networks and Spatial Economics, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 149-162, June.
- Batarce, Marco & Galilea, Patricia, 2018. "Cost and fare estimation for the bus transit system of Santiago," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 64(C), pages 92-101.
- Johnston, Ahren & Ozment, John, 2013. "Economies of scale in the US airline industry," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 95-108.
- Anming Zhang & Yimin Zhang & Joseph A. Clougherty, 2011. "Competition and Regulation in Air Transport," Chapters, in: André de Palma & Robin Lindsey & Emile Quinet & Roger Vickerman (ed.), A Handbook of Transport Economics, chapter 35, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Richard Nehring & Jorge Fernandez-Cornejo & David Banker, 2005. "Off-farm labour and the structure of US agriculture: the case of corn/soybean farms," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(6), pages 633-649.
- Finn Førsund & Lennart Hjalmarsson, 2004.
"Are all Scales Optimal in DEA? Theory and Empirical Evidence,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 25-48, January.
- Lennart Hjalmarsson & Finn R. FF8rsund, 2002. "Are all scales optimal in Dea? Theory and empirical evidence," ICER Working Papers 14-2002, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 2002. "Are all Scales Optimal in DEA? Theory and Empirical Evidence," Working Papers in Economics 66, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Sveinn Vidar Gudmundsson, 2011. "Liberalization of Air Transport," Chapters, in: Matthias Finger & Rolf W. Künneke (ed.), International Handbook of Network Industries, chapter 14, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Wanke, Peter, 2015. "An analysis of African airlines efficiency with two-stage TOPSIS and neural networks," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 44, pages 90-102.
- Giancarlo Moschini, 1988.
"A Model of Production with Supply Management for the Canadian Agricultural Sector,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 70(2), pages 318-329.
- Moschini, Giancarlo, 1987. "A Model of Production with Supply Management for the Canadian Agricultural Sector," Working Papers 244830, University of Guelph, Department of Food, Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 1988. "Model of Production with Supply Management for the Canadian Agricultural Sector, A," Staff General Research Papers Archive 11269, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Clougherty, Joseph A., 2004. "Integrating Industrial Organization and International Business to Explain the Cross-National Domestic Airline Merger Phenomenon," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 19, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Zuidberg, Joost, 2014. "Identifying airline cost economies: An econometric analysis of the factors affecting aircraft operating costs," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 86-95.
- Fielbaum, Andrés & Jara-Diaz, Sergio & Gschwender, Antonio, 2020. "Beyond the Mohring effect: Scale economies induced by transit lines structures design," Economics of Transportation, Elsevier, vol. 22(C).
- Burton, John & Hanlon, Pat, 1994. "Airline alliances: cooperating to compete?," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 209-227.
- Wimmer, Stefan G & Sauer, Johannes, 2016. "Diversification Versus Specialization: Empirical Evidence On The Optimal Structure Of European Dairy Farms," 56th Annual Conference, Bonn, Germany, September 28-30, 2016 244882, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Rich, Daniel P., 2004. "6. Productivity, Technical Change And Labor Relations In Transportation Industries," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 109-135, January.
More about this item
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-COM-2006-04-29 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2006-04-29 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EEC-2006-04-29 (European Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2006-04-29 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-NET-2006-04-29 (Network Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fda:fdaddt:2006-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://www.fedea.net .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If CitEc recognized a bibliographic reference but did not link an item in RePEc to it, you can help with this form .
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Carmen Arias (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://www.fedea.net .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.