The Irish Tiger and the German Frog: A Tale of Size and Growth in the Euro Area
In this paper, we try to relate country size to economic performance in the Euro area, focusing on the second smallest Euro area country, Ireland, and the region’s largest economy, Germany, from 1995 to 2005. In the institutional context of the EMU, we show that Ireland smallness was a major factor in its spectacular success, while the growth strategy of Germany was not in line with its size and thus produced poor overall results. We argue that while Ireland needs to rethink its growth strategy with the arrival of the Eastern small states in the EU and the Euro area, Germany’s economic extraversion – choosing external competitiveness over domestic expansion and resorting to social and tax competition – could be re-oriented towards intensive domestic growth with benefits, not only for the country, but also for the Euro area as a whole.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 01 44 18 54 00
Fax: 01 45 56 06 15
Web page: http://www.ofce.sciences-po.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aghion, Philippe & Marinescu, Ioana, 2007.
"Cyclical Budgetary Policy and Economic Growth: What Do We Learn From OECD Panel Data?,"
3350066, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Ioana Marinescu, 2008. "Cyclical Budgetary Policy and Economic Growth: What Do We Learn from OECD Panel Data?," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2007, Volume 22, pages 251-278 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hamada, Koichi, 1976. "A Strategic Analysis of Monetary Interdependence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(4), pages 677-700, August.
- André Sapir, 2006.
"Globalisation and the reform of European social models,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/8112, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- André Sapir, 2006. "Globalization and the Reform of European Social Models," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 369-390, 06.
- AndrÃ© Sapir, 2005. "Globalisation and the reform of European social models," Policy Contributions 31, Bruegel.
- André Sapir, 2006. "Globalization and the reform of European social models," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/167139, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Eloi Laurent & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2006. "Integrity and Efficiency in the EU: The Case against the European economic constitution," Sciences Po publications 130, Sciences Po.
- McCallum, John, 1995. "National Borders Matter: Canada-U.S. Regional Trade Patterns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 615-23, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fce:doctra:0731. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesco Saraceno)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.