Demand Fluctuations and Productivity of Service Industries
The purpose of this paper is to investigate empirically the relationship between demand fluctuations and productivity of service industries. Specifically, by using unique establishment-level data on service industries in Japan, this paper estimates production functions for six narrowly defined personal-service industries. In almost all the examined service industries, statistically and economically significant negative effects of demand variation on establishment-level productivity are found. This result suggests dispersing holidays may have positive effects on the productivity of service industries.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901|
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Inklaar, Robert, 2006.
"Cyclical Productivity in Europe and the United States, Evaluating the Evidence on Returns to Scale and Input Utilization,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5501, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert Inklaar, 2007. "Cyclical Productivity in Europe and the United States: Evaluating the Evidence on Returns to Scale and Input Utilization," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 74(296), pages 822-841, November.
- Inklaar, Robert, 2005. "Cyclical productivity in Europe and the United States, evaluating the evidence on returns to scale and input utilization," GGDC Research Memorandum 200574, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Kawamoto, Takuji, 2005. "What Do the Purified Solow Residuals Tell Us about Japan's Lost Decade?," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 23(1), pages 113-148, February.
- MORIKAWA Masayuki, 2008.
"Economies of Density and Productivity in Service Industries: An Analysis of Personal-Service Industries Based on Establishment-Level Data,"
08023, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Masayuki Morikawa, 2011. "Economies of Density and Productivity in Service Industries: An Analysis of Personal Service Industries Based on Establishment-Level Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 93(1), pages 179-192, February.
- Susanto Basu & John Fernald & Miles Kimball, 2002.
"Are Technology Improvements Contractionary?,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1986, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald & Miles S. Kimball, 2004. "Are technology improvements contractionary?," Working Paper Series WP-04-20, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald & Miles S. Kimball, 1998. "Are technology improvements contractionary?," International Finance Discussion Papers 625, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Susanto Basu & John Fernald & Miles Kimball, 2004. "Are Technology Improvements Contractionary?," NBER Working Papers 10592, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & Caitlin Knowles Myers & Mark L. Pocock, 2008. "Cues for Timing and Coordination: Latitude, Letterman, and Longitude," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 223-246, 04.
- Charlotta Groth, 2008. "Quantifying UK Capital Adjustment Costs," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 75(298), pages 310-325, 05.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S. & Pfann, Gerard Antonie, 1996.
"Adjustment Costs in Factor Demand,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1371, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- T. Miyagawa & Y. Sakuragawa & M. Takizawa, 2006. "Productivity And Business Cycles In Japan: Evidence From Japanese Industry Data," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 57(2), pages 161-186.
- Baker, Laurence C. & Phibbs, Ciaran S. & Guarino, Cassandra & Supina, Dylan & Reynolds, James L., 2004. "Within-year variation in hospital utilization and its implications for hospital costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 191-211, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:08030. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.