From Economic Meltdown to Social Crunch â€“ Impact of the Global Economic Recession on Social Capital Building in Developing Countries and What We still Don't Know!
This paper draws on the experiences of the Far East Economic Crisis in 1998 and argues that: (1) the poor depended heavily on bonding social capital during the Crisis, but the crunch-point beyond which they felt no longer able to rely on this is less certain; (2) bridging social capital could both be created and destroyed during the Crisis; (3) the impact of the Crisis affected men and women differently, but how different groups of men and women were affected by the Crisis is less clear; (4) NGOs could help build social capital with the poor, but their role could be restricted by financial difficulties. URL:[http://www.devstud.org.uk/aqadmin/media/uploads/4ab77d15a6783_2-wong-dsa09.pdf].
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cleaver, Frances, 2005. "The inequality of social capital and the reproduction of chronic poverty," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 893-906, June.
- Silvey, Rachel & Elmhirst, Rebecca, 2003. "Engendering Social Capital: Women Workers and Rural-Urban Networks in Indonesia's Crisis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 865-879, May.
- Martin Ravallion, 2009.
"Bailing Out the World's Poorest,"
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 52(2), pages 55-80, March.
- Mustafizur Rahman & Khondaker Golam Moazzem & Syed Saifuddin Hossain, 2009.
"Impact of the Global Economic Crisis on the Employment and Labour Market of Bangladesh A Preliminary Assessment,"
Labor Economics Working Papers
22303, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Mustafizur Rahman & Khondaker Golam Moazzem & Syed Saifuddin Hossain, 2009. "Impact of the Global Economic Crisis on the Employment and Labour Market of Bangladesh: A Preliminary Assessment," CPD Working Paper 80, Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD).
- Fiszbein, Ariel & Adúriz, Isidro & Giovagnoli, Paula Inés, 2003. "The Argentine crisis and its impact on household welfare," Revista CEPAL, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), April.
- Floro, Maria & Dymski, Gary, 2000. "Financial Crisis, Gender, and Power: An Analytical Framework," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1269-1283, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:4398. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.