From Economic Meltdown to Social Crunch â€“ Impact of the Global Economic Recession on Social Capital Building in Developing Countries and What We still Don't Know!
This paper draws on the experiences of the Far East Economic Crisis in 1998 and argues that: (1) the poor depended heavily on bonding social capital during the Crisis, but the crunch-point beyond which they felt no longer able to rely on this is less certain; (2) bridging social capital could both be created and destroyed during the Crisis; (3) the impact of the Crisis affected men and women differently, but how different groups of men and women were affected by the Crisis is less clear; (4) NGOs could help build social capital with the poor, but their role could be restricted by financial difficulties. URL:[http://www.devstud.org.uk/aqadmin/media/uploads/4ab77d15a6783_2-wong-dsa09.pdf].
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Ravallion, 2009.
"Bailing Out the World's Poorest,"
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 52(2), pages 55-80, March.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2008. "Bailing out the world's poorest," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4763, The World Bank.
- Mustafizur Rahman & Khondaker Golam Moazzem & Syed Saifuddin Hossain, 2009. "Impact of the Global Economic Crisis on the Employment and Labour Market of Bangladesh A Preliminary Assessment," Labor Economics Working Papers 22303, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Mustafizur Rahman & Khondaker Golam Moazzem & Syed Saifuddin Hossain, 2009. "Impact of the Global Economic Crisis on the Employment and Labour Market of Bangladesh: A Preliminary Assessment," CPD Working Paper 80, Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD).
- Floro, Maria & Dymski, Gary, 2000. "Financial Crisis, Gender, and Power: An Analytical Framework," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1269-1283, July.
- Knowles, J.C. & Pernia, E.M., Racelis, M., 1999. "Social Consequences of the Financial Crisis in Asia," Papers 60, Asian Development Bank.
- Cleaver, Frances, 2005. "The inequality of social capital and the reproduction of chronic poverty," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 893-906, June.
- Fiszbein, Ariel & Adúriz, Isidro & Giovagnoli, Paula Inés, 2003. "The Argentine crisis and its impact on household welfare," Revista CEPAL, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), April.
- Silvey, Rachel & Elmhirst, Rebecca, 2003. "Engendering Social Capital: Women Workers and Rural-Urban Networks in Indonesia's Crisis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 865-879, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:4398. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.