Convergence in Living Standards in Ireland: The Role of the New Economy
Section 1 of this paper sets out the historical record on convergence. It decomposes the change in GDP per head into the effects of demographic changes and changes in output per person employed. Section 2 describes a small model of the economy with skilled and unskilled labour. This model is used in Section 3 to examine the roles of a range of different factors in driving convergence and in accounting for the relatively rapid increase in output per person employed. Finally, in Section 4 some conclusions are drawn on the likely growth in the capacity output of the economy in the medium term.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (353-1) 863 2000
Fax: (353-1) 863 2100
Web page: http://www.esri.ie
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ide Kearney, 1997. "Estimating the Demand for Skilled Labour, Unskilled Labour and Clerical Workers: A Dynamic Framework," Papers WP091, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Nickell, Stephen & Bell, Brian, 1995. "The Collapse in Demand for the Unskilled and Unemployment across the OECD," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(1), pages 40-62, Spring.
- Barry, F & Bradley, J, 1997.
""FDI and Trade : The Irish Host-Country Experience","
97/13, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Ide Kearney, 1998. "Is There A Stable Migration Equation For Ireland?," Papers WP097, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Duffy, David & FitzGerald, John & Kearney, Ide & Smyth, Diarmaid, 1999. "Medium-Term Review 1999-2005, No. 7," Forecasting Report, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number MTR07, December.
- Bradley, John & Fitzgerald, John, 1988. "Industrial output and factor input determination in an econometric model of a small open economy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1227-1241, July.
- George J. Borjas & Richard B. Friedman & Lawrence F. Katz, 1997. "How Much Do Immigration and Trade Affect Labor Market Outcomes?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 28(1), pages 1-90.
- Koman, Reinhard & Marin, Dalia, 1997. "Human Capital and Macroeconomic Growth: Austria and Germany 1960-1992," CEPR Discussion Papers 1551, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bradley, John & FitzGerald, John & Honohan, Patrick & Kearney, Ide, 1997. "Interpreting the Recent Irish Growth Experience," Book Chapters, in: Medium-Term Review: 1997-2003, No.6, chapter 3, pages 35-66 Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Duffy, David & FitzGerald, John & Kearney, Ide & Shortall, Fergal, 1997. "Medium-Term Review 1997-2003, No. 6," Forecasting Report, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number MTR06, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esr:wpaper:wp134. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.