Convergence in Living Standards in Ireland: The Role of the New Economy
Section 1 of this paper sets out the historical record on convergence. It decomposes the change in GDP per head into the effects of demographic changes and changes in output per person employed. Section 2 describes a small model of the economy with skilled and unskilled labour. This model is used in Section 3 to examine the roles of a range of different factors in driving convergence and in accounting for the relatively rapid increase in output per person employed. Finally, in Section 4 some conclusions are drawn on the likely growth in the capacity output of the economy in the medium term.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Whitaker Square, Sir John Rogerson's Quay, Dublin 2|
Phone: (353-1) 863 2000
Fax: (353-1) 863 2100
Web page: http://www.esri.ie
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry, Frank & Bradley, John, 1997.
"FDI and Trade: The Irish Host-Country Experience,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(445), pages 1798-1811, November.
- Barry, F & Bradley, J, 1997. ""FDI and Trade : The Irish Host-Country Experience"," Papers 97/13, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Ide Kearney, 1997. "Estimating the Demand for Skilled Labour, Unskilled Labour and Clerical Workers: A Dynamic Framework," Papers WP091, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- George J. Borjas & Richard B. Friedman & Lawrence F. Katz, 1997. "How Much Do Immigration and Trade Affect Labor Market Outcomes?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 28(1), pages 1-90.
- Bradley, John & FitzGerald, John & Honohan, Patrick & Kearney, Ide, 1997. "Interpreting the Recent Irish Growth Experience," Book Chapters,in: Medium-Term Review: 1997-2003, No.6, chapter 3, pages 35-66 Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Bradley, John & Fitzgerald, John, 1988. "Industrial output and factor input determination in an econometric model of a small open economy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1227-1241, July.
- Koman, Reinhard & Marin, Dalia, 1997. "Human Capital and Macroeconomic Growth: Austria and Germany 1960-1992," CEPR Discussion Papers 1551, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Duffy, David & FitzGerald, John & Kearney, Ide & Smyth, Diarmaid, 1999. "Medium-Term Review 1999-2005, No. 7," Forecasting Report, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number MTR07, April.
- Ide Kearney, 1998. "Is There A Stable Migration Equation For Ireland?," Papers WP097, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Nickell, Stephen & Bell, Brian, 1995. "The Collapse in Demand for the Unskilled and Unemployment across the OECD," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(1), pages 40-62, Spring.
- Duffy, David & FitzGerald, John & Kearney, Ide & Shortall, Fergal, 1997. "Medium-Term Review 1997-2003, No. 6," Forecasting Report, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number MTR06, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)