An Estimation of Service Sectors Restrictiveness in The MENA Region
This paper aims at assessing barriers to service provision in the banking, telecom (fixed and mobile), insurance and transport (air and maritime) sectors of four MENA countries, by including both trade and domestic restrictions. The qualitative information gathered is the basis of the computation of sectoral aggregate and modal trade restrictiveness indexes (TRIs). These TRIs, already computed in the previous chapter, are used as regressors of firms’ economic performance indicators to capture the economic impact of restrictions. The estimated coefficients of the TRIs are then used to compute the aggregate and modal tax equivalents of service restrictions by sector. The results show that service restrictions have an impact on economic performance in the three studied sectors. While a rent-creating effect seems to dominate restrictions on banking and fixed telecom sectors, a cost-inefficiency effect seems to dominate the mobile telecom sector. Moreover, interactions between modal restrictions seem to be taking place, especially in the telecom sectors. Finally, higher levels of tax equivalents in the insurance and transport sectors characterize MENA countries in comparison to OECD countries.
|Date of creation:||May 2009|
|Date of revision:||May 2009|
|Publication status:||Published by The Economic Research Forum (ERF)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 21 Al-Sad Al Aaly St. Dokki, Giza|
Web page: http://www.erf.org.eg
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Betancourt, Roger R & Gautschi, David A, 1993. "The Outputs of Retail Activities: Concepts, Measurement and Evidence from U.S. Census Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 294-301, May.
- Anthony Saunders & Liliana Schumacher, 1997. "The Determinants of Bank Interest Rate Margins: An International Study," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 98-058, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Mohamed Ali Marouani & Laura Munro, 2009.
"Assessing Barriers to Trade in Services in The MENA Region,"
496, Economic Research Forum, revised Jul 2009.
- Mohamed Ali Marouani & Laura Munro, 2009. "Assessing Barriers to Trade in Services in the MENA Region," OECD Trade Policy Papers 84, OECD Publishing.
- Philip TURNER, 2007. "Are Banking Systems in East Asia Stronger?," Asian Economic Policy Review, Japan Center for Economic Research, vol. 2(1), pages 75-95.
- Brons, Martijn & Pels, Eric & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2002. "Price elasticities of demand for passenger air travel: a meta-analysis," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 165-175.
- Saunders, Anthony & Schumacher, Liliana, 2000. "The determinants of bank interest rate margins: an international study," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 813-832, December.
- Konan, Denise Eby & Maskus, Keith E., 2006. "Quantifying the impact of services liberalization in a developing country," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 142-162, October.
- Konan Denise Eby & MASKUS Keith E., "undated". "Quantifying the Impact of Services Liberalization in a Developing Country," EcoMod2002 330800043, EcoMod.
- Konan, Denise Eby & Maskus, Keith E., 2003. "Quantifying the impact of services liberalization in a developing country," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3193, The World Bank.
- Moulton, Brent R., 1986. "Random group effects and the precision of regression estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 385-397, August.
- Ho, Thomas S. Y. & Saunders, Anthony, 1981. "The Determinants of Bank Interest Margins: Theory and Empirical Evidence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(04), pages 581-600, November.
- Brock, Philip L. & Rojas Suarez, Liliana, 2000. "Understanding the behavior of bank spreads in Latin America," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 113-134, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)