Iterative branch-and-price for hierarchical multi-criteria kidney exchange
Kidney exchange is an increasing modality for transplanting end stage renal disease patients with an incompatible living donor. Typically, the aim is to find an allocation of donors to patients that is optimal with respect to multiple hierarchical criteria. This paper presents an iterative branch-and-price algorithm for clearing such multi-criteria kidney exchanges with large patient-donor pools. Using a polynomial pricing procedure, the algorithm accomodates not only for cycles of incompatible pairs but also for long chains initiated by unspecified donors. Such chains are increasingly common and important in clinical practice, but, as we show, cannot be efficiently dealt with using existing depth-first pricing procedures. Our algorithm also supports individual rationality constraints required for multi-center coordination. Using Dutch kidney exchange data, we show the effect of long term multi-criteria optimization with our algorithm.
|Date of creation:||17 Dec 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postbus 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam|
Phone: 31 10 4081111
Web page: http://www.eur.nl/ese
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roth, Alvin E. & Sonmez, Tayfun & Unver, Utku & Delmonico, Francis & Saidman, Susan L., 2014. "Utilizing List Exchange and Non-directed Donation through “Chain” Paired Kidney Donations," MPRA Paper 58246, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Saidman, Susan L. & Roth, Alvin E. & Sonmez, Tayfun & Unver, M. Utku & Delmonico, Francis L., 2014. "Increasing the Opportunity of Live Kidney Donation by Matching for Two and Three Way Exchanges," MPRA Paper 58247, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tayfun Sönmez & Alvin E. Roth & M. Utku Ünver, 2007.
"Efficient Kidney Exchange: Coincidence of Wants in Markets with Compatibility-Based Preferences,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 97(3), pages 828-851, June.
- Ãœnver, M. Utku & SÃ¶nmez, Tayfun & Roth, Alvin, 2007. "Efficient Kidney Exchange: Coincidence of Wants in a Markets with Compatibility-Based Preferences," Scholarly Articles 2562809, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Itai Ashlagi & Alvin E. Roth, 2012. "New Challenges in Multihospital Kidney Exchange," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(3), pages 354-359, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ems:eureir:38649. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RePub)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.