Consumer Cooperatives as a new Governance Form: The Case of the Cooperatives in the Broadband Industry
Since Williamson’s semi-final paper (1975) on governance forms in a market economy, a growing number of studies have focused on new forms of governance, but research seems to have neglected consumer cooperatives despite their growing importance in some sectors of the economy. With an increasing emergence of consumer cooperatives in industries such as electricity generation or broadband telecommunications, however, there is a need to study the specific structure and function of consumer cooperatives in the market economy. In the literature, the growth of consumer cooperatives has been attributed to problems of market failure in conjunction with high risk and uncertain investment. In order to examine incentives for consumers to join a consumer cooperative, we make a distinction between different types of risks and benefits. The evolution of broadband markets in the Netherlands provides an interesting example to examine the function and structure of local cooperatives in a dynamic market. In the paper, we analyze the incentives of 759 consumers to opt in favor of setting up of a cooperative aimed at providing broadband services via a fiber network. We found that the risks associated with creating cost-efficiencies and switching cost are important determinants for consumers to join a cooperative. In addition, benefits expected from consumers with respect to user network externalities and indirect gains derived will affect the probability of consumers to join a cooperative.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:||Feb 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+31) (0)40 247 5938
Fax: (+31) (0)40 247 2607
Web page: http://ecis.ieis.tue.nl/welcome
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul de Bijl & M. Peitz, 2008.
"Innovation, convergence and the role of regulation in the Netherlands and beyond,"
CPB Discussion Paper
108, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- de Bijl, Paul & Peitz, Martin, 2008. "Innovation, convergence and the role of regulation in the Netherlands and beyond," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 744-754, December.
- Paul Klemperer, 1987. "The Competitiveness of Markets with Switching Costs," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 18(1), pages 138-150, Spring.
- Glaeser, Edward L. & Shleifer, Andrei, 2001.
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 99-115, July.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "Not-For-Profit Entrepreneurs," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1852, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "Not-For-Profit Entrepreneurs," NBER Working Papers 6810, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1979. "Transaction-Cost Economics: The Governance of Contractural Relations," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(2), pages 233-61, October.
- Rey, Patrick & Tirole, Jean, 2007.
"Financing and access in cooperatives,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 1061-1088, October.
- Akerlof, George A, 1970. "The Market for 'Lemons': Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500, August.
- Bronwyn HOWELL & Arthur GRIMES, 2010. "Productivity Questions for Public Sector Fast Fibre Network Financiers," Communications & Strategies, IDATE, Com&Strat dept., vol. 1(78), pages 127-146, 2nd quart.
- Mikami, Kazuhiko, 2010. "Capital procurement of a consumer cooperative: Role of the membership market," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 178-197, June.
- Jeffrey Rohlfs, 1974. "A Theory of Interdependent Demand for a Communications Service," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 5(1), pages 16-37, Spring.
- Sadowski, Bert M. & Nucciarelli, Alberto & de Rooij, Marc, 0. "Providing incentives for private investment in municipal broadband networks: Evidence from the Netherlands," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(10-11), pages 582-595, November.
- Mikami, Kazuhiko, 2003. "Market power and the form of enterprise: capitalist firms, worker-owned firms and consumer cooperatives," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 533-552, December.
- Huigen, Jos & Cave, Martin, 2008. "Regulation and the promotion of investment in next generation networks--A European dilemma," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 713-721, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ein:tuecis:1403. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carolina Castaldi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.