Emerging models of public-private interplay for European broadband access: Evidence from the Netherlands and Italy
The paper examines the role and function of public-private interplay in the development of municipal initiatives in the broadband sector. The analysis of initiatives in the Netherlands and Italy shows how the interaction between public and private stakeholders can facilitate local broadband initiatives. This interaction has been vital in aligning the interests of different private and (semi-)public parties, in designing the network and in aggregating sufficient demand for broadband services. The comparative analysis examines the steps involved in these initiatives and the strengths and weaknesses of joint public-private activities. The paper shows that the challenge for cooperating stakeholders has been to foster further investment in the upgrading of the network and in the provision of advanced broadband services.
Volume (Year): 34 (2010)
Issue (Month): 9 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30471/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30471/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Guasch & Jean-Jacques Laffont & Stéphane Straub, 2006. "Renegotiation of Concession Contracts: A Theoretical Approach," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 55-73, September.
- Oliver Hart, 2003.
"Incomplete Contracts and Public Ownership: Remarks, and an Application to Public-Private Partnerships,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(486), pages C69-C76, March.
- Oliver Hart, 2002. "Incomplete Contracts and Public Ownership: Remarks, and an Application to Public-Private Partnerships," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 02/061, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Paul de Bijl & M. Peitz, 2008.
"Innovation, convergence and the role of regulation in the Netherlands and beyond,"
CPB Discussion Paper
108, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- de Bijl, Paul & Peitz, Martin, 2008. "Innovation, convergence and the role of regulation in the Netherlands and beyond," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 744-754, December.
- Huigen, Jos & Cave, Martin, 2008. "Regulation and the promotion of investment in next generation networks--A European dilemma," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 713-721, December.
- Hans Van Ham & Joop Koppenjan, 2001. "BUILDING PUBLIC-PRIVATE PARTNERSHIPS: Assessing and managing risks in port development," Public Management Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(4), pages 593-616, December.
- Carol C. McDonough, 2009. "Public/private partnerships for broadband buildout," International Journal of Management and Network Economics, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(3), pages 299-307.
- John Bennett & Elisabetta Iossa, 2006.
"Delegation of Contracting in the Private Provision of Public Services,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 75-92, September.
- Elisabetta Iossa, 2005. "Delegation of Contracting in the Private Provision of Public Services," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 05/125, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- John Bennett & Elisabetta Iossa, 2005. "Delegation of Contracting in the Private Provision of Public Services," Economics and Finance Discussion Papers 05-15, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Martimort, David & Pouyet, Jerome, 2008. "To build or not to build: Normative and positive theories of public-private partnerships," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 393-411, March.
- Gillett, Sharon E. & Lehr, William H. & Osorio, Carlos, 0. "Local government broadband initiatives," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(7-8), pages 537-558, August.
- Sadowski, Bert M. & Nucciarelli, Alberto & de Rooij, Marc, 0. "Providing incentives for private investment in municipal broadband networks: Evidence from the Netherlands," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(10-11), pages 582-595, November.
- Timothy Besley & Maitreesh Ghatak, 2001.
"Government Versus Private Ownership Of Public Goods,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 116(4), pages 1343-1372, November.
- Besley, Timothy J. & Ghatak, Maitreesh, 2001. "Government versus Private Ownership of Public Goods," CEPR Discussion Papers 2725, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:telpol:v:34:y:2010:i:9:p:513-527. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.