Capital procurement of a consumer cooperative: Role of the membership market
Cooperative firms are commonly thought to be financially weak and unable to flourish in the market economy. This paper addresses the idea that a consumer cooperative issues a membership, which represents an ownership share in the cooperative, as a method of procuring equity capital. It then shows that, in theory, consumer cooperatives are not necessarily financially weaker than investor-owned firms in the presence of a membership market. This implies that the consumer cooperative is potentially a promising alternative to the investor-owned firm when the latter type of firm induces serious market failure in the product market.
Volume (Year): 34 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Landshuter Str. 4, 93047 Regensburg|
Phone: +49-(0)941-943 54 10
Fax: +49-(0)941-943 54 27
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/621171
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schmidt, Klaus M., 1996.
"Incomplete contracts and privatization,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 569-579, April.
- Klaus M. Schmidt, 1995. "Incomplete Contracts and Privatization," Discussion Paper Serie A 480, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Schmidt, Klaus M., 1996. "Incomplete contracts and privatization," Munich Reprints in Economics 19776, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, January.
- Mikami, Kazuhiko, 2003. "Market power and the form of enterprise: capitalist firms, worker-owned firms and consumer cooperatives," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 533-552, December.
- Kazuhiko Mikami, 2007. "Asymmetric Information and the Form of Enterprise: Capitalist Firms and Consumer Cooperatives," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 163(2), pages 297-312, June.
- Farrell, Joseph, 1985. "Owner-consumers and efficiency," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 303-306.
- Joseph Farrell, 1985. "Owner-Consumers and Efficiency," Working papers 380, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Manning, Alan, 1989. "An Asymmetric Information Approach to the Comparative Analysis of Participatory and Capitalist Firms," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 41(2), pages 312-326, April.
- Sertel, Murat R., 1991. "Workers' enterprises in imperfect competition," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 698-710, December.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Tirole, Jean, 2001. "Corporate Governance," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(1), pages 1-35, January.
- Tirole, Jean, 1999. "Corporate Governance," CEPR Discussion Papers 2086, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tiroley, Jean, 2000. "Corporate Governance," CEI Working Paper Series 2000-1, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Gregory Dow, 1996. "Replicating Walrasian equilibria using markets for membership in labor-managed firms," Review of Economic Design, Springer;Society for Economic Design, vol. 2(1), pages 147-162, December.
- Ben-Ner, Avner & Jun, Byoung, 1996. "Employee Buyout in a Bargaining Game with Asymmetric Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 502-523, June.
- Cario Daniela, 2005. "Aufnahme von Investorenmitgliedern in die SCE? - Gedanken zur Ausübung des Wahlrechts in Art. 14 Abs. 2 SCE-VO durch den deutschen Gesetzgeber," Zeitschrift für das gesamte Genossenschaftswesen, De Gruyter, vol. 55(1), pages 146-152, June.
- Golbe, Devra L, 1983. "Product Safety in a Regulated Industry: Evidence from the Railroads," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 21(1), pages 39-52, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)