Banking regulation and financial stability
Panic and a massive withdrawal of deposits triggered by an expectation of bankruptcy may force the bank to sell off valuable assets, causing sizeable losses and, in some cases, closure of an initially healthy financial institution. The traditional way of preventing bank runs has to do with the imposition of various restrictions on the bank’s activity. Yet, restrictions and regulations can vary. Based on a theoretical model, the authors analyze the effect of alternative banking regulation instruments on the stability of the Russian financial system.
|Date of creation:||03 Apr 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS, 92/94, Dmytrivska Str., suite 404, Kyiv, 01135 Ukraine|
Web page: http://www.eercnetwork.com
|Order Information:|| Postal: EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS, 92/94, Dmytrivska Str., suite 404, Kyiv, 01135 Ukraine|
Web: https://eercnetwork.com/paper Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Taggart, Robert A, Jr & Greenbaum, Stuart I, 1978. "Bank Capital and Public Regulation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 10(2), pages 158-169, May.
- Smith, Bruce D., 1984. "Private information, deposit interest rates, and the `stability' of the banking system," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 293-317, November.
- Crouhy, Michel & Galai, Dan, 1986. "An economic assessment of capital requirements in the banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 231-241, June.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000.
"Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983. "Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-419, June.
- Cothren, Richard D & Waud, Roger N, 1994. "On the Optimality of Reserve Requirements," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(4), pages 827-838, November.
- Richard D. Cothren & Roger N. Waud, 1991. "On the Optimality of Reserve Requirements," NBER Technical Working Papers 0101, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elena Carletti, 1999. "Bank Moral Hazard and Market Discipline," FMG Discussion Papers dp326, Financial Markets Group.
- Cothren, Richard, 1987. "Asymmetric Information and Optimal Bank Reserves," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 19(1), pages 68-77, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eer:wpalle:99-088e. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anton Pashchenko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.