Constructing Core Inflation Index for Russia
The paper studies a possibility to construct a price index (“core inflation” index) for Russia, which is more appropriate for assessing monetary policy than consumer price index. The index is derived by applying to Russian data trimmed mean method, which explores cross-sectional dimension of the data. We find that cross-sectional distributions of individual price changes are significantly long-tailed. In this situation ordinary sample mean is not very efficient and robust estimator of the central tendency. Trimming 50-100% of observations leads to a large gain in efficiency. Moreover, trimmed mean series is shown to be less volatile than official consumer price index.
|Date of creation:||23 Mar 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS, 92/94, Dmytrivska Str., suite 404, Kyiv, 01135 Ukraine|
Web page: http://www.eercnetwork.com
|Order Information:|| Postal: EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS, 92/94, Dmytrivska Str., suite 404, Kyiv, 01135 Ukraine|
Web: https://eercnetwork.com/paper Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1995.
"The Seasonality of Consumer Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
5173, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1994.
"Measuring Core Inflation,"
in: Monetary Policy, pages 195-219
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Quah, Danny & Vahey, Shaun P, 1995.
"Measuring Core Inflation?,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(432), pages 1130-44, September.
- Quah, Danny, 1995. "Measuring Core Inflation," CEPR Discussion Papers 1153, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Quah and Vahey core inflation estimation," Statistical Software Components RTZ00139, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Danny Quah & Danny Quah & Shaun P. Vahey, 1995. "Measuring Core Inflation," CEP Discussion Papers dp0254, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Danny Quah & Shaun Vahey, 1995. "Measuring Core Inflation," Bank of England working papers 31, Bank of England.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti & Rodney L. Wiggins, 1997.
"Efficient inflation estimation,"
9707, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eer:wpalle:04-04e. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anton Pashchenko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.