The Monthly Measurement of Core Inflation in Japan
This paper considers the use of trimmed means as monthly indicators of Japanese core inflation. As in Bryan, Cecchetti, and Wiggins (1997) for the United States, and Roger (1997) for New Zealand, we find that trimming the tails of the price change distribution substantially improves high-frequency estimates of Japanese core inflation. These estimators yield efficiency gains of roughly two-thirds over the Japanese CPI. While we find that trimming approximately 35 percent from each tail of the price change distribution produces the most efficient monthly estimator over the full 27-year period, a range of trimmed-mean estimators (between 21 percent and the median price change) provide nearly the same signal. Moreover, we find that these estimators are superior to the standard monthly core inflation estimator in Japan, the CPI less fresh food. At lower frequencies (12-month percent changes and beyond), the differences between the candidate estimators were found to be small, and the trimmed estimators were nearly the same as the CPI less fresh food and energy along many dimensions.
Volume (Year): 17 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1-1 Nihonbashi, Hongoku-cho, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103|
Web page: http://www.imes.boj.or.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Quah, Danny, 1995.
"Measuring Core Inflation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1153, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew Caplin & John Leahy, 1991. "State-Dependent Pricing and the Dynamics of Money and Output," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(3), pages 683-708.
- Balke, Nathan S. & Wynne, Mark A., 2000.
"An equilibrium analysis of relative price changes and aggregate inflation,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 269-292, April.
- Nathan S. Balke & Mark A. Wynne, 1996. "An equilibrium analysis of relative price changes and aggregate inflation," Working Papers 9609, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1997.
"Measuring short-run inflation for central bankers,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 143-155.
- Caballero, Ricardo J & Engel, Eduardo M R A, 1991.
"Dynamic (S, s) Economies,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1659-86, November.
- Shiratsuka, Shigenori, 1997. "Inflation Measures for Monetary Policy: Measuring the Underlying Inflation Trend and Its Implication for Monetary Policy Implementation," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 15(2), pages 1-26, December.
- Danny Quah & Danny Quah & Shaun P. Vahey, 1995.
"Measuring Core Inflation,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0254, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ime:imemes:v:17:y:1999:i:1:p:77-101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kinken)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.