A statistical measure of core inflation
This paper examines alternative statistically-based measures of core inflation in Ireland over the period 1976-1999. A highly disaggregated (approximately 500 price series) dataset from the Irish HICP is used. The distribution of quarterly price changes is shown, in common with other international studies, to be highly kurtotic (i.e., fat-tailed) and right skewed. This would suggest there is considerable ‘statistical noise’ in the measured inflation rate, motivating the use of ‘limited influence’ estimators of central tendency over the mean measure on the grounds of statistical efficiency. It is found that even a relatively small amount of trim from both ends of the distribution of price changes results in considerable improvement in root mean square error (RMSE) relative to a benchmark measure of core inflation. This improvement is even larger when monthly data are examined.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Central Bank and Financial Services Authority of Ireland Technical Paper Series 2/RT/1999.1999(1999): pp. 1-43|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clements, Kenneth W & Izan, H Y, 1987.
"The Measurement of Inflation: A Stochastic Approach,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 5(3), pages 339-50, July.
- K.W. Clements & H.Y. Izan, 1987. "The Measurement of Inflation: A stochastic approach," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 87-02, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- K.W. Clements & H.Y. Izan, 1984. "The Measurement of Inflation: a Stochastic Approach," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 84-10, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Kenny, Geoff & Meyler, Aidan & Quinn, Terry, 1998.
"Forecasting Irish inflation using ARIMA models,"
Research Technical Papers
3/RT/98, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Jonathan Kearns, 1998. "The Distribution and Measurement of Inflation," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp9810, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1999.
"Inflation And The Distribution Of Price Changes,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(2), pages 188-196, May.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1997.
"Measuring short-run inflation for central bankers,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 143-155.
- Laurence Ball & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1995.
"Relative-Price Changes as Aggregate Supply Shocks,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 110(1), pages 161-193.
- Laurence Ball & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1992. "Relative-Price Changes as Aggregate Supply Shocks," NBER Working Papers 4168, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurence Ball & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1993. "Relative-price changes as aggregate supply shocks," Working Papers 93-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Ball, L. & Mankiw, G.H., 1992. "Relative-Price Change as Aggregate Supply Shocks," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1609, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti & Rodney L. Wiggins, 1997.
"Efficient inflation estimation,"
9707, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Bryan, Michael-F & Cecchetti, Stephen-G, 1999. "The Monthly Measurement of Core Inflation in Japan," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 17(1), pages 77-101, May.
- Christine Gartner & Gert Wehinger, 1998. "Core Inflation in Selected European Union Countries," Working Papers 33, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Danny Quah & Shaun Vahey, 1995.
"Measuring Core Inflation,"
Bank of England working papers
31, Bank of England.
- Mark A. Wynne, 1997. "Measuring short-run inflation for central bankers - commentary," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 161-167.
- Nathan S. Balke & Mark A. Wynne, 1996. "Supply shocks and the distribution of price changes," Economic and Financial Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Q I, pages 10-18.
- Thérèse Laflèche, 1997. "Statistical measures of the trend rate of inflation," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, vol. 1997(Autumn), pages 29-47.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:11362. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.