European Equity Investing through the Financial Crisis: Can Risk Parity, Momentum or Trend Following Help to Reduce Tail Risk?
A growing body of literature suggests that over widely varying historical eras and across a wide range of asset classes momentum investing, often accompanied by a trend following overlay, provides superior risk-adjusted returns. We examine the effectiveness of applying these methodologies to pan-European equity asset allocation through periods of potentially substantial market dislocation, in particular, with the advent of the single currency and the equity market crashes of the early 2000‟s and 2008.With the introduction of the Euro there has been much discussion of the benefits of diversification via country based portfolios versus industry sector portfolios. Early studies simply looked at changing return correlations over time. The simple conclusion that increasing country correlations over time drives superior risk-adjusted portfolios towards diversification across sectors has been increasingly challenged. Our approach is different in that we apply momentum and trend following investing strategies and assess whether it is sectoral or country indices which dominate our portfolios through periods of structural changes and extreme volatility. Diversification via sectors is clearly the best strategy in times of equity market stress. In addition, the application of trend following offers a substantial improvement in risk-adjusted performance compared to traditional buy-and-hold portfolios. The terms momentum and trend following have often been used interchangeably although the former is a relative concept and the latter absolute. By combining the two we find that one can achieve the higher return levels associated with momentum portfolios but with much reduced volatility, tail risk and drawdowns due to trend following. We observe that a flexible asset allocation strategy that allocates capital to the best performing instruments irrespective of asset class enhances this further. Such methodologies offer superior risk adjusted returns, especially through periods of raised market volatility
|Date of creation:||Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 2601|
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: http://cama.crawford.anu.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adjaoute, Kpate & Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 2001.
"Portfolio Diversification: Alive and Well in Euroland!,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3086, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kpate Adjaoute & Jean-Pierre Danthine, 2004. "Portfolio diversification: alive and well in Euro-land!," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(17), pages 1225-1231.
- Adjaoute, K. & Danthine, J.P., 2001. "Portfolio Diversification: Alive and well In Euroland," Papers 32, Manitoba - Department of Economics.
- Kpaté ADJAOUTE & Jean-Pierre DANTHINE, 2001. "Portfolio Diversification: Alive and Well in Euroland!," FAME Research Paper Series rp32, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Kpate ADJAOUTE & Jean-Pierre DANTHINE, 2001. "Portfolio Diversification: Alive and well in Euroland !," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 01.08, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Szakmary, Andrew C. & Shen, Qian & Sharma, Subhash C., 2010. "Trend-following trading strategies in commodity futures: A re-examination," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 409-426, February.
- Kent Hargis & Jianping Mei, 2006. "Is Country Diversification better than Industry Diversification?," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 12(3), pages 319-340.
- Thomas Flavin, 2004.
"The effect of the Euro on country versus industry portfolio diversification,"
Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series
n1411004, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Flavin, Thomas J., 2004. "The effect of the Euro on country versus industry portfolio diversification," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(7-8), pages 1137-1158.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Stefan Nagel & Lasse H. Pedersen, 2009.
"Carry Trades and Currency Crashes,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2008, Volume 23, pages 313-347
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bakshi, Gurdip & Panayotov, George, 2013. "Predictability of currency carry trades and asset pricing implications," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 139-163.
- Levy, Haim & Sarnat, Marshall, 1970. "International Diversification of Investment Portfolios," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(4), pages 668-75, September.
- Miguel Almeida Ferreira & Miguel Ângelo Ferreira, 2006. "The Importance of Industry and Country Effects in the EMU Equity Markets," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 12(3), pages 341-373.
- Andrew Clare & James Seaton & Peter N. Smith & Stephen Thomas, 2013.
"The Trend is Our Friend: Risk Parity, Momentum and Trend Following in Global Asset Allocation,"
CAMA Working Papers
2013-24, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Andrew Clare & James Seaton & Peter N. Smith & Stephen Thomas, 2012. "The Trend is Our Friend: Risk Parity, Momentum and Trend Following in Global Asset Allocation," Discussion Papers 12/25, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Brunnermeier, Markus K & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2007.
"Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6179, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lasse Heje Pederson & Markus K Brunnermeier, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," FMG Discussion Papers dp580, Financial Markets Group.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2007. "Market liquidity and funding liquidity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24478, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," NBER Working Papers 12939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bartram, Sohnke M. & Karolyi, G. Andrew, 2006.
"The impact of the introduction of the Euro on foreign exchange rate risk exposures,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4-5), pages 519-549, October.
- Bartram, Sohnke M. & Karolyi, G. Andrew, 2004. "The Impact of the Introduction of the Euro on Foreign Exchange Rate Risk Exposures," Working Paper Series 2005-3, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Sohnke M. Bartram & G. Andrew Karolyi, 2002. "The Impact of the Introduction of the Euro on Foreign Exchange Rate Risk Exposures," Finance 0207005, EconWPA, revised 16 Sep 2002.
- Jegadeesh, Narasimhan & Titman, Sheridan, 1993. " Returns to Buying Winners and Selling Losers: Implications for Stock Market Efficiency," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 65-91, March.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R. & Lundblad, Christian T. & Siegel, Stephan, 2013.
"The European Union, the Euro, and equity market integration,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 109(3), pages 583-603.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Christian T. Lundblad & Stephan Siegel, 2010. "The European Union, the Euro, and Equity Market Integration," NBER Working Papers 16583, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephan Siegel & Christian Lundblad & Campbell R. Harvey & Geert Bekaert, 2011. "The European Union, the Euro, and Equity Market Integration," 2011 Meeting Papers 468, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- De Santis, Giorgio & Gerard, Bruno, 1998. "How big is the premium for currency risk?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 375-412, September.
- Novy-Marx, Robert, 2012. "Is momentum really momentum?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(3), pages 429-453.
- Miffre, Joelle & Rallis, Georgios, 2007. "Momentum strategies in commodity futures markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1863-1886, June.
- Brennan, Michael J & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1989. "Portfolio Insurance and Financial Market Equilibrium," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62(4), pages 455-72, October.
- Kent Daniel & Ravi Jagannathan & Soohun Kim, 2012. "Tail Risk in Momentum Strategy Returns," NBER Working Papers 18169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:een:camaaa:2014-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Cama Admin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.