Privatization in an International Mixed Oligopoly: the Role of Product Differentiation under Price Competition
By developing a linear model in a two-country framework of international price competition, we show how the degree of product differentiation and the cross-country distribution of private firms affect the strategic privatization choices made by governments concerned with their own country’s welfare. More particularly, the work points out that sufficiently low product differentiation may lead public ownership to be optimally chosen to restrict competition in the country with the larger number of firms, and privatization to be global welfare enhancing in this case.
|Date of creation:||06 May 2017|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue Louise, 1050 Brussels|
Phone: +32 2271 9482
Fax: +32 2271 9480
Web page: http://www.eeri.eu/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Noriaki Matsushima, 2012.
"Airport Privatization And International Competition,"
The Japanese Economic Review,
Japanese Economic Association, vol. 63(4), pages 431-450, December.
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Noriaki Matsushima, 2010. "Airport privatization and international competition," ISER Discussion Paper 0792, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Noriaki Matsushima & Ikuo Ishibashi, 2009. "Privatization and entries of foreign enterprises in a differentiated industry," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 98(3), pages 203-219, December.
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Noriaki Matsushima & Ikuo Ishibashi, 2007. "Privatization and entries of foreign enterprises in a differentiated industry," Discussion Papers 2007-01, Kobe University, Graduate School of Business Administration.
- Ali Dadpay & John S. Heywood, 2006. "Mixed Oligopoly In A Single International Market ," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(4), pages 269-280, December.
- Nabin, Munirul H. & Nguyen, Xuan & Sgro, Pasquale M. & Chao, Chi-Chur, 2014. "Strategic quality competition, mixed oligopoly and privatization," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 142-150.
- Johan Willner & David Parker, 2007. "The Performance of Public and Private Enterprise under Conditions of Active and Passive Ownership and Competition and Monopoly," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 90(3), pages 221-253, April.
- Maria José Gil-Moltó & Joanna Poyago-Theotoky & Vasileios Zikos, 2011. "R&D Subsidies, Spillovers, and Privatization in Mixed Markets," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 78(1), pages 233-255, July.
- Maria José Gil Moltó & Joanna Poyago.Theotoky & Vasileios Zikos, 2010. "R&D Subsidies, Spillovers and Privatization in Mixed Markets," Discussion Papers in Economics 10/19, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Xu, Lili & Lee, Sang-Ho & Wang, Leonard F.S., 2016. "Free trade agreements and privatization policy with an excess burden of taxation," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 37, pages 55-64.
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Yoshihiro Tomaru, 2012. "Market Structure And Privatization Policy Under International Competition," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 63(2), pages 244-258, June.
- Matsumura, Toshihiro, 1998. "Partial privatization in mixed duopoly," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 473-483, December.
- Kenneth Fjell & Debashis Pal, 1996. "A Mixed Oligopoly in the Presence of Foreign Private Firms," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(3), pages 737-743, August.
- Tomaru, Yoshihiro, 2007. "Privatization, productive efficiency and social welfare with a foreign competitor," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(4), pages 224-232, December.
- Ishibashi, Ikuo & Matsumura, Toshihiro, 2006. "R&D competition between public and private sectors," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(6), pages 1347-1366, August.
- Debashis Pal & Mark White, 2003. "Intra-Industry Trade And Strategic Trade Police In The Presence of Public Firms," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(4), pages 29-41.
- Chi-Chur Chao & Eden S. H. Yu, 2006. "Partial Privatization, Foreign Competition, and Optimum Tariff," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 87-92, February.
- Kazuhiro Ohnishi, 2010. "Domestic and international mixed models with price competition," International Review of Economics, Springer;Happiness Economics and Interpersonal Relations (HEIRS), vol. 57(1), pages 1-7, March.
- Poyago-Theotoky, Joanna, 1998. "R&D Competition in a Mixed Duopoly under Uncertainty and Easy Imitation," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 415-428, September.
- Susumu Cato, 2011. "Privatization Policy And Cost‐Reducing Investment By The Private Sector," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 79(6), pages 1157-1178, December.
- Alessandra Chirco & Marcella Scrimitore, 2010. "Price Competition in International Mixed Oligopolies," Working Paper Series 48_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Winston Chang, 2005. "Optimal Trade and Privatization Policies in an International Duopoly with Cost Asymmetry," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 19-42.
- Lihua Han & Hikaru Ogawa, 2008. "Economic Integration and Strategic Privatization in an International Mixed Oligopoly," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 64(3), pages 352-363, September.
- Ghosh, Arghya & Mitra, Manipushpak, 2010. "Comparing Bertrand and Cournot in mixed markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 72-74, November.
- Debashis Pal & Mark D. White, 1998. "Mixed Oligopoly, Privatization, and Strategic Trade Policy," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 65(2), pages 264-281, October.
- De Fraja Giovanni, 1993. "Incentive Contracts for Public Firms," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 581-599, September.
- de Fraja, Giovanni & Delbono, Flavio, 1989. "Alternative Strategies of a Public Enterprise in Oligopoly," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 41(2), pages 302-311, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eei:rpaper:eeri_rp_2017_06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia van Hove)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.