Land Use Change Impacts of Biofuels: Near-VAR Evidence from the US
The present paper studies the land use change impacts of fuels and biofuels. We test the theoretical hypothesis, which says that changes in fuel prices cause changes in land use both directly and indirectly and, because of price inter-dependencies, biofuels reinforce the land use change impacts. Our data consists of yearly observations extending from 1950 to 2007 for the US, to which we apply time-series analytical mechanisms of five major traded agricultural commodities, the area of cultivated agricultural land and crude oil price. The empirical findings confirm that markets for crude oil and cultivated agricultural land are interdependent: an increase in oil price by 1 dollar/barrel increases land use between 54 and 68 thousand hectares. We also find that the rise of bioenergy sector accelerates land use change in the US.
|Date of creation:||11 Aug 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue de Beaulieu, 1160 Brussels|
Phone: +322 299 3523
Fax: +322 299 3523
Web page: http://www.eeri.eu/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gardner Bruce, 2007. "Fuel Ethanol Subsidies and Farm Price Support," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 5(2), pages 1-22, December.
- Pavel Ciaian & d'Artis Kancs & Miroslava Rajcaniova, 2012.
"Bioenergy and Global Land Use Change,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2012_12, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Pavel Ciaian & d'Artis Kancs & Miroslava Rajcaniova, 2013. "Bioenergy and Global Land Use Change," LICOS Discussion Papers 33613, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d'Artis & Rajcaniova, Miroslava, 2012. "Bioenergy and Land Use Change," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126379, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d'Artis, 2011.
"Interdependencies in the energy-bioenergy-food price systems: A cointegration analysis,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 326-348, January.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d'Artis, 2010. "Interdependencies in the Energy-Bioenergy-Food Price Systems: A Cointegration Analysis," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61009, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Pavel Ciaian & d'Artis Kancs, 2009. "Interdependencies in the Energy-Bioenergy-Food Price Systems: A Cointegration Analysis," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2009_06, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- d’Artis Kancs, 2007.
"Applied General Equilibrium Analysis of Renewable Energy Policies,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2007_02, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Kancs, d'Artis & Wohlgemuth, Norbert, 2008. "Evaluation of renewable energy policies in an integrated economic-energy-environment model," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 128-139, January.
- d’Artis Kancs & Norbert Wohlgemuth, 2007. "Evaluation of renewable energy policies in an integrated economic-energy-environment model," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2007_04, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Thomas W. Hertel & Wallace E. Tyner & Dileep K. Birur, 2010. "The Global Impacts of Biofuel Mandates," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 75-100.
- Julda Kielyte, 2008. "Estimating Panel Data Models in the Presence of Endogeneity and Selection," Journal of Economics and Econometrics, Economics and Econometrics Society, vol. 51(2), pages 1-19.
- Searchinger, Timothy & Heimlich, Ralph & Houghton, R. A. & Dong, Fengxia & Elobeid, Amani & Fabiosa, Jacinto F. & Tokgoz, Simla & Hayes, Dermot J. & Yu, Hun-Hsiang, 2008. "Use of U.S. Croplands for Biofuels Increases Greenhouse Gases Through Emissions from Land-Use Change," Staff General Research Papers 12881, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Swinton, Scott M. & Babcock, Bruce A. & James, Laura K. & Bandaru, Varaprasad, 2011. "Higher US crop prices trigger little area expansion so marginal land for biofuel crops is limited," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 5254-5258, September.
- Swinton, Scott & Babcock, Bruce A. & James, Laura K. & Bandaru, Varaprasad, 2011. "Higher U.S. Crop Prices Trigger Little Area Expansion So Marginal Land for Biofuels is Limited," Staff General Research Papers 34897, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eei:rpaper:eeri_rp_2011_11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia van Hove)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.