Which immigrants stimulate exports in their host country? (en homenaje a José Vicente Blanes)
We use province migration-trade panel data to examine the importance of geographic proximity in the effectiveness of ethnic networks on bilateral trade. Empirical findings from the gravity model show that the migration-trade link is clearly in-province: exports from a province to a country do not receive any stimuli from immigrants from this country living outside of the province, once we control for country-province time-invariant fixed effects.
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 963 82 83 49
Fax: 963 82 83 54
Web page: http://www.estructuraeconomica.es
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Faqin Lin, 2011. "The pro-trade impacts of immigrants: a meta-analysis of network effects," Journal of Chinese Economic and Foreign Trade Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 4(1), pages 17-27, February.
- Thierry Mayer & Soledad Zignago, 2011.
"Notes on CEPII’s distances measures: The GeoDist database,"
2011-25, CEPII research center.
- Massimiliano Bratti & Luca de Benedictis & Gianluca Santoni, 2012.
"On the Pro-Trade Effects of Immigrants,"
Development Working Papers
347, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano, revised 13 Nov 2012.
- Massimiliano Bratti & Luca Benedictis & Gianluca Santoni, 2014. "On the pro-trade effects of immigrants," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 150(3), pages 557-594, August.
- Massimiliano Bratti & Luca De Benedictis & Gianluca Santoni, 2013. "On the pro-trade effects of immigrants," Working Papers CEB 13-014, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bratti, Massimiliano & De Benedictis, Luca & Santoni, Gianluca, 2012. "On the Pro-Trade Effects of Immigrants," IZA Discussion Papers 6628, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Murat Genc & Masood Gheasi & Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2012.
"The impact of immigration on international trade: a meta-analysis,"
in: Migration Impact Assessment, chapter 9, pages 301-337
- Genc, Murat & Gheasi, Masood & Nijkamp, Peter & Poot, Jacques, 2011. "The Impact of Immigration on International Trade: A Meta-Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 6145, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Murat Genc & Masood Gheasi & Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2011. "The impact of immigration on international trade: a meta-analysis," Norface Discussion Paper Series 2011020, Norface Research Programme on Migration, Department of Economics, University College London.
- Bedassa Tadesse & Roger White, 2010. "Cultural distance as a determinant of bilateral trade flows: do immigrants counter the effect of cultural differences?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(2), pages 147-152, January.
- Wagner, Don & Head, Keith & Ries, John, 2002. "Immigration and the Trade of Provinces," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 49(5), pages 507-25, December.
- James A. Dunlevy, 2006. "The Influence of Corruption and Language on the Protrade Effect of Immigrants: Evidence from the American States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 88(1), pages 182-186, February.
- Giovanni Peri & Francisco Requena, 2009.
"The Trade Creation Effect of Immigrants: Evidence from the Remarkable Case of Spain,"
NBER Working Papers
15625, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giovanni Peri & Francisco Requena-Silvente, 2010. "The trade creation effect of immigrants: evidence from the remarkable case of Spain," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 43(4), pages 1433-1459, November.
- James E. Rauch, 2001. "Business and Social Networks in International Trade," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1177-1203, December.
- Anthony Briant & Pierre-Philippe Combes & Miren Lafourcade, 2009.
"Product complexity, quality of institutions and the pro-trade effect of immigrants,"
PSE Working Papers
- Anthony Briant & Pierre-Philippe Combes & Miren Lafourcade, 2014. "Product Complexity, Quality of Institutions and the Protrade Effect of Immigrants," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(1), pages 63-85, 01.
- Anthony Briant & Pierre-Philippe Combes & Miren Lafourcade, 2009. "Product Complexity, Quality Of Institutions And The Pro-Trade Effect Of Immigrants," PSE Working Papers halshs-00382510, HAL.
- Briant, Anthony & Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Lafourcade, Miren, 2009. "Product Complexity, Quality of Institutions and the Pro-Trade Effect of Immigrants," CEPR Discussion Papers 7192, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eec:wpaper:1207. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silviano Esteve)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.