Feasible Multivariate Nonparametric Estimation Using Weak Separability
One of the main practical problems of nonparametric regression estimation is the curse of dimensionality. The curse of dimensionality arises because nonparametric regression estimates are dependent variable averages local to the point at which the regression function is to be estimated. The number of observations `local' to the point of estimation decreases exponentially with the number of dimensions. The consequence is that the variance of unconstrained nonparametric regression estimators of multivariate regression functions is often so great that the unconstrained nonparametric regression estimates are of no practical use. In this paper I propose a new estimation method of weakly separable multivariate nonparametric regression functions. Weak separability is a weaker condition than required by other dimension--reduction techniques, although similar asymptotic variance reductions obtain. Indeed, weak separability is weaker than generalized additivity (see Hardle and Linton, 1996 and Horowitz, 1998). The proposed estimator is relatively easy to compute. Theoretical results in this paper include (i) a uniform law of large numbers for marginal integration estimators, (ii) a uniform law of large numbers for marginal summation estimators, (iii) a uniform law of large numbers for my new nonparametric regression estimator for weakly separable regression functions, (iv) both a uniform strong and weak law of large numbers for U-statistics, and (v) three central limit theorems for my nonparametric regression estimator for weakly separable regression functions.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ahn, Hyungtaik, 1997. "Semiparametric Estimation of a Single-Index Model with Nonparametrically Generated Regressors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(01), pages 3-31, February.
- Delgado, Miguel A & Mora, Juan, 1995. "Nonparametric and Semiparametric Estimation with Discrete Regressors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(6), pages 1477-84, November.
- Diewert, Walter E & Wales, Terence J, 1987.
"Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 43-68, January.
- W. Erwin Diewert & T.J. Wales, 1989. "Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions," NBER Technical Working Papers 0040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 2000.
"Latent Separability: Grouping Goods without Weak Separability,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(1), pages 53-84, January.
- R. Blundell & Jean-Marc Robin, 2000. "Latent separability: grouping goods without weak separability," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/f0uohitsgqh, Sciences Po.
- Richard Blundell & Robin, J M, 1995. "Latent separability: grouping goods without weak separability," IFS Working Papers W95/09, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Rilstone, Paul, 1996. "Nonparametric Estimation of Models with Generated Regressors," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(2), pages 299-313, May.
- J. Horowitz, 1998. "Nonparametric Estimation of a Generalized Additive Model with an Unknown Link Function," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1998,83, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- BLACKORBY, Ch. & SCHWORM, W. & FISHER, T., 1986. "Testing for the existence of input aggregates in an economy production function," CORE Discussion Papers 1986046, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Diewert, W E & Wales, T J, 1988. "Normalized Quadratic Systems of Consumer Demand Functions," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 6(3), pages 303-12, July.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1986. "Consistency in Nonlinear Econometric Models: A Generic Uniform Law of Large Numbers," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 790, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990.
"Generic Uniform Convergence,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
940, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Newey, W.K., 1989.
"Uniform Convergence In Probability And Stochastic Equicontinuity,"
342, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Newey, Whitney K, 1991. "Uniform Convergence in Probability and Stochastic Equicontinuity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 1161-67, July.
- Potscher, Benedikt M. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 1987.
"A Uniform Law of Large Numbers for Dependent and Heterogeneous Data Process,"
87-26, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Potscher, Benedikt M & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1989. "A Uniform Law of Large Numbers for Dependent and Heterogeneous Data Processes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 675-83, May.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988.
"Asymptotic Normality of Series Estimators for Nonparametric and Semiparametric Regression Models,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
874R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised May 1989.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991. "Asymptotic Normality of Series Estimators for Nonparametric and Semiparametric Regression Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 307-45, March.
- Woodland, Alan D., 1978. "On testing weak separability," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 383-398, December.
- Blackorby, C. & Davidson, R. & Schworm, W., 1990.
"Implicit Separability: Characterisation And Implications For Consumer Demands,"
90a16, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Blackorby, Charles & Davidson, Russell & Schworm, William, 1991. "Implicit separability: Characterisation and implications for consumer demands," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 364-399, December.
- William Barnett, 2005.
WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS
200510, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2005.
- Blundell, Richard, 1988. "Consumer Behaviour: Theory and Empirical Evidence--a Survey," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(389), pages 16-65, March.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:8:y:1992:i:2:p:241-57 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gozalo, Pedro L., 1993. "A Consistent Model Specification Test for Nonparametric Estimation of Regression Function Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(03), pages 451-477, June.
- Horowitz, J.L., 1998. "Nonparametric Estimation of a Generalized Additive Model with an Unknown Link Function," Working Papers 98-05, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Oliver Linton & Pedro Gozalo, 1995. "Testing Additivity in Generalized Nonparametric Regression Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1106, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Blackorby, Charles & Schworm, William, 1988. "The Existence of Input and Output Aggregates in Aggregate Production Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(3), pages 613-43, May.
- Diewert, W. E. & Wales, T. J., 1995. "Flexible functional forms and tests of homogeneous separability," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 259-302, June.
- Fan, Yanqin & Li, Qi, 1996. "Consistent Model Specification Tests: Omitted Variables and Semiparametric Functional Forms," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 865-90, July.
- Robinson, Peter M, 1988. "Root- N-Consistent Semiparametric Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 931-54, July.
- Hall, Peter, 1984. "Central limit theorem for integrated square error of multivariate nonparametric density estimators," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 1-16, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:wc2000:1241. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.