A simple and general test for white noise
This article considers testing that a time series is uncorrelated when it possibly exhibits some form of dependence. Contrary to the currently employed tests that require selecting arbitrary user-chosen numbers to compute the associated tests statistics, we consider a test statistic that is very simple to use because it does not require any user chosen number and because its asymptotic null distribution is standard under general weak dependent conditions, and hence, asymptotic critical values are readily available. We consider the case of testing that the raw data is white noise, and also consider the case of applying the test to the residuals of an ARMA model. Finally, we also study finite sample performance
|Date of creation:||11 Aug 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deo, Rohit S., 2000. "Spectral tests of the martingale hypothesis under conditional heteroscedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 291-315, December.
- Franke,J. & Haerdle,W., 1987.
"On bootstrapping Kernel spectral estimates,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
121, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Franke, J. & Hardle, W., 1990. "On bootstrapping kernel spectralestimates," CORE Discussion Papers 1990058, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Weiss, Andrew A, 1986. "ARCH and Bilinear Time Series Models: Comparison and Combination," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 4(1), pages 59-70, January.
- He, Changli & Terasvirta, Timo, 1999. "Properties of moments of a family of GARCH processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 173-192, September.
- He, Changli & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1997. "Properties of Moments of a Family of GARCH Processes," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 198, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Hong, Yongmiao, 1996. "Consistent Testing for Serial Correlation of Unknown Form," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 837-864, July.
- Bera, Anil K & Higgins, Matthew L, 1997. "ARCH and Bilinearity as Competing Models for Nonlinear Dependence," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 15(1), pages 43-50, January.
- Bera, Anil K & Higgins, Matthew L, 1993. " ARCH Models: Properties, Estimation and Testing," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(4), pages 305-366, December.
- Deo, Rohit S. & Chen, Willa W., 2000. "On the integral of the squared periodogram," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 159-176, January.
- Durlauf, Steven N., 1991. "Spectral based testing of the martingale hypothesis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 355-376, December.
- Steven N. Durlauf, 1992. "Spectral Based Testing of the Martingale Hypothesis," NBER Technical Working Papers 0090, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Horowitz, Joel L. & Lobato, I.N. & Nankervis, John C. & Savin, N.E., 2006. "Bootstrapping the Box-Pierce Q test: A robust test of uncorrelatedness," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 841-862, August.
- Manuel Dominguez & Ignacio Lobato, 2003. "Testing the Martingale Difference Hypothesis," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(4), pages 351-377.
- Lobato, I.N. & Nankervis, John C. & Savin, N.E., 2002. "Testing For Zero Autocorrelation In The Presence Of Statistical Dependence," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 730-743, June.
- An, Hong-Zhi & Chen, Zhao-Guo & Hannan, E. J., 1983. "The maximum of the periodogram," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 383-400, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:latm04:112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.