A simple and general test for white noise
This article considers testing that a time series is uncorrelated when it possibly exhibits some form of dependence. Contrary to the currently employed tests that require selecting arbitrary user-chosen numbers to compute the associated tests statistics, we consider a test statistic that is very simple to use because it does not require any user chosen number and because its asymptotic null distribution is standard under general weak dependent conditions, and hence, asymptotic critical values are readily available. We consider the case of testing that the raw data is white noise, and also consider the case of applying the test to the residuals of an ARMA model. Finally, we also study finite sample performance
|Date of creation:||11 Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lobato, I.N. & Nankervis, John C. & Savin, N.E., 2002. "Testing For Zero Autocorrelation In The Presence Of Statistical Dependence," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 730-743, June.
- Deo, Rohit S. & Chen, Willa W., 2000. "On the integral of the squared periodogram," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 159-176, January.
- Bera, Anil K & Higgins, Matthew L, 1997. "ARCH and Bilinearity as Competing Models for Nonlinear Dependence," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 15(1), pages 43-50, January.
- He, Changli & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1997.
"Properties of Moments of a Family of GARCH Processes,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
198, Stockholm School of Economics.
- He, Changli & Terasvirta, Timo, 1999. "Properties of moments of a family of GARCH processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 173-192, September.
- Bera, Anil K & Higgins, Matthew L, 1993. " ARCH Models: Properties, Estimation and Testing," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(4), pages 305-66, December.
- Franke, J. & Hardle, W., 1990.
"On bootstrapping kernel spectralestimates,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1990058, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Manuel Dominguez & Ignacio Lobato, 2003. "Testing the Martingale Difference Hypothesis," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(4), pages 351-377.
- Horowitz, Joel L. & Lobato, I.N. & Nankervis, John C. & Savin, N.E., 2006. "Bootstrapping the Box-Pierce Q test: A robust test of uncorrelatedness," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 841-862, August.
- Steven N. Durlauf, 1992.
"Spectral Based Testing of the Martingale Hypothesis,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0090, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Durlauf, Steven N., 1991. "Spectral based testing of the martingale hypothesis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 355-376, December.
- Weiss, Andrew A, 1986. "ARCH and Bilinear Time Series Models: Comparison and Combination," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 4(1), pages 59-70, January.
- Deo, Rohit S., 2000. "Spectral tests of the martingale hypothesis under conditional heteroscedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 291-315, December.
- Hong, Yongmiao, 1996. "Consistent Testing for Serial Correlation of Unknown Form," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 837-64, July.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- An, Hong-Zhi & Chen, Zhao-Guo & Hannan, E. J., 1983. "The maximum of the periodogram," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 383-400, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:latm04:112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.