Minimizing the Worst Slowdown: Off-Line and On-Line
Minimizing the slowdown (expected sojourn time divided by job size) is a key concern of fairness in scheduling and queuing problems where job sizes are very heterogeneous. We look for protocols (service disciplines) capping the worst slowdown (called here liability) a job may face no matter how large (or small) the other jobs are. In the scheduling problem (all jobs released at the same time), allowing the server to randomize the order of service cuts almost in half the liability profiles feasible under deterministic protocols. The same statement holds if cash transfers are feasible and users have linear waiting costs.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: MS-22, 6100 South Main, Houston, TX 77005-1892|
Phone: (713) 527-4875
Fax: (713) 285-5278
Web page: http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~econ/papers/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- MANIQUET, François, "undated".
"A characterization of the Shapley value in queueing problems,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1662, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Maniquet, Francois, 2003. "A characterization of the Shapley value in queueing problems," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 90-103, March.
- Maniquet, F., 2000. "A Characterization of the Shapley Value in Queueing Problems," Papers 222, Notre-Dame de la Paix, Sciences Economiques et Sociales.
- Jeroen Suijs, 1996. "On incentive compatibility and budget balancedness in public decision making," Review of Economic Design, Springer;Society for Economic Design, vol. 2(1), pages 193-209, December.
- Manipushpak Mitra, 2000.
"Mechanism Design in Queueing Problems,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1301, Econometric Society.
- Moulin, Herve, 2005. "Split-Proof Probabilistic Scheduling," Working Papers 2004-06, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Moulin, Herve, 1991.
"Welfare bounds in the fair division problem,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 321-337, August.
- Moulin, Herve, 1992. "Welfare bounds in the cooperative production problem," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 373-401, July.
- Demko, Stephen & Hill, Theodore P., 1988. "Equitable distribution of indivisible objects," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 145-158, October.
- Moulin, Herve, 1990.
"Uniform externalities : Two axioms for fair allocation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 305-326, December.
- Moulin, H., 1989. "Uniform Externalities: Two Axioms For Fair Allocation," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 117-89, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecl:riceco:2005-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.