The EMU after Three Years: Lessons and Challenges
The paper provides an analysis of the first three years of the European Monetary Union. It discusses the changeover to Euro notes, the performance of monetary policy in terms of price stability and real growth, the establishment of credibility for the ECB, and the two pillar strategy. The weakness of the euro's exchange value during the first three years is explained. Some aspects of the eastern enlargement of the eurozone are examined especially the problems that may be associated with the lack of real convergence. Other issues such as the importance of a Balassa-Samuelson effect and the need for appropriate fiscal policies are discussed.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2002|
|Publication status:||Published in UNECE Discussion Paper Series, No. 2002_1|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Palais des Nations, CH - 1211 Geneva 10|
Phone: +4122 917 44 44
Fax: +4122 917 05 05
Web page: http://www.unece.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shleifer, Andrei, 2000. "Inefficient Markets: An Introduction to Behavioral Finance," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198292272.
- Svensson, Lars E. O., 1998.
"Inflation targeting as a monetary policy rule,"
CFS Working Paper Series
1998/16, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1998. "Inflation Targeting as a Monetary Policy Rule," CEPR Discussion Papers 1998, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1998. "Inflation Targeting as a Monetary Policy Rule," NBER Working Papers 6790, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1998. "Inflation Targeting as a Monetary Policy Rule," Papers 646, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Lars E.O., 1998. "Inflation Targeting as a Monetary Policy Rule," Seminar Papers 646, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- International Monetary Fund, 2001.
"Interpreting Real Exchange Rate Movements in Transition Countries,"
IMF Working Papers
01/56, International Monetary Fund.
- De Broeck, Mark & Slok, Torsten, 2006. "Interpreting real exchange rate movements in transition countries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 368-383, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ece:dispap:2002_1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Shelburne)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.