The EMU after Three Years: Lessons and Challenges
The paper provides an analysis of the first three years of the European Monetary Union. It discusses the changeover to Euro notes, the performance of monetary policy in terms of price stability and real growth, the establishment of credibility for the ECB, and the two pillar strategy. The weakness of the euro's exchange value during the first three years is explained. Some aspects of the eastern enlargement of the eurozone are examined especially the problems that may be associated with the lack of real convergence. Other issues such as the importance of a Balassa-Samuelson effect and the need for appropriate fiscal policies are discussed.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in UNECE Discussion Paper Series, No. 2002_1|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Palais des Nations, CH - 1211 Geneva 10|
Phone: +4122 917 44 44
Fax: +4122 917 05 05
Web page: http://www.unece.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1998.
"Inflation Targeting as a Monetary Policy Rule,"
646, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Lars E.O., 1998. "Inflation Targeting as a Monetary Policy Rule," Seminar Papers 646, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1998. "Inflation Targeting as a Monetary Policy Rule," CEPR Discussion Papers 1998, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1998. "Inflation Targeting as a Monetary Policy Rule," NBER Working Papers 6790, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, Lars E. O., 1998. "Inflation targeting as a monetary policy rule," CFS Working Paper Series 1998/16, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Broeck, Mark De & Sløk, Torsten, 2001.
"Interpreting real exchange rate movements in transition countries,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
7/2001, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- De Broeck, Mark & Slok, Torsten, 2006. "Interpreting real exchange rate movements in transition countries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 368-383, March.
- International Monetary Fund, 2001. "Interpreting Real Exchange Rate Movements in Transition Countries," IMF Working Papers 01/56, International Monetary Fund.
- Shleifer, Andrei, 2000. "Inefficient Markets: An Introduction to Behavioral Finance," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198292272, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ece:dispap:2002_1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Shelburne)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Robert Shelburne to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.