Managerial appraisal and compensation: The case of Spain
This paper explores some fundamental tasks associated with corporate governance: manager appraisal and compensation. Most of the empirical research in this area has been centered on Anglo-Saxon countries. Some European countries, such as Spain, have a very different governance tradition. Given this context, the work presented here has two objectives: 1.- To describe existing appraisal and compensation practices in Spain, comparing them with those used in the USA. 2.- To study the determinants of CEO compensation, and the relationship between CEO compensation and certain Board practices, using agency theory
|Date of creation:||24 Mar 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IESE Business School, Av Pearson 21, 08034 Barcelona, SPAIN|
Web page: http://www.iese.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pedro Ortín-Ángel & Vicente Salas-fumás, 1998. "Agency-Theory and Internal-Labor-Market Explanations of Bonus Payments: Empirical Evidence from Spanish Firms," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(4), pages 573-613, December.
- Baysinger, Barry D & Butler, Henry N, 1985. "Corporate Governance and the Board of Directors: Performance Effects of Changes in Board Composition," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(1), pages 101-124, Spring.
- Govindarajan, V. & Gupta, Anil K., 1985. "Linking control systems to business unit strategy: impact on performance," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 51-66, January.
- Larcker, David F., 1983. "The association between performance plan adoption and corporate capital investment," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 3-30, April.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Rosen, Harvey S, 1983.
" Agency, Delayed Compensation, and the Structure of Executive Remuneration,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 38(5), pages 1489-1505, December.
- Jonathan Eaton & Harvey S. Rosen, 1981. "Agency, Delayed Compensation, and the Structure of Executive Remuneration," NBER Working Papers 0777, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Eaton & Harvey S. Rosen, 1982. "Agency Delayed Compensation, and the Structure of Executive Remuneration," Working Papers 533, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Fama, Eugene F, 1980. "Agency Problems and the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(2), pages 288-307, April.
- Bushman, Robert M. & Indjejikian, Raffi J. & Smith, Abbie, 1996. "CEO compensation: The role of individual performance evaluation," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 161-193, April.
- Joan Ricart & Jose¨ A´lvarez & Miguel Gallo, 1999. "Governance Mechanisms for Effective Leadership: the case of Spain," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(3), pages 266-287, 07.
- Angel, Pedro Ortin & Fumas, Vicente Salas, 1997. "The compensation of Spanish executives: A test of a managerial talent allocation model," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 511-531, July.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Milgrom, Paul, 1991. "Multitask Principal-Agent Analyses: Incentive Contracts, Asset Ownership, and Job Design," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(0), pages 24-52, Special I. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebg:iesewp:d-0413. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Noelia Romero)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.