Asian Trade Structures and Trade Potential : An Initial Analysis of South and East Asian Trade
A frontier of potential trade is constructed for trade flows from a world trade matrix of trade determinants to compare East Asian trade performance with that of South Asia. The results suggest that East Asian trade, led by ASEAN, is outperforming the world while South Asia lags behind significantly. Within East Asia, the transformation of Chianis trade performance is remarkable with its accession to the WTO. Australia is efficiently integrated with East Asia and performing close to its trade frontier. There is scope to lift intraregional trade among the East Asian economies but South Asia has even more unrealised potential, including within its own region.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Harrigan, 2001.
"Specialization and the Volume of Trade: Do the Data Obey the Laws?,"
NBER Working Papers
8675, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Harrigan, 2001. "Specialization and the volume of trade: do the data obey the laws?," Staff Reports 140, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra & Yamashita, Nobuaki, 2006.
"Production fragmentation and trade integration: East Asia in a global context,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 233-256, December.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Nobuaki Yamashita, 2005. "Production Fragmentation and Trade Integration: East Asia in a Global Context," Departmental Working Papers 2005-07, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Shiro Armstrong, 2007.
"Measuring Trade and Trade Potential : A Survey,"
Trade Working Papers
21904, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Ross Garnaut & David Vines, 2007. "Regional free-trade areas: sorting out the tangled spaghetti," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(3), pages 508-527, Autumn.
- Kalirajan, K.P., 2000. "Indian Ocean Rim Association for Regional Cooperation (IOR-ARC): Impact on Australia’s Trade," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 15, pages 533-547.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:wpaper:21753. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.