Efficiency of Large Scale Manufacturing in Pakistan : A Production Frontier Approach
This paper examines the efficiency of the large scale manufacturing sector of Pakistan using the stochastic production frontier approach. A stochastic production frontier is estimated for two periods1995-96 and 2000-01for 101 industries at the 5-digit PSIC. The results show that there has been some improvement in the efficiency of the large scale manufacturing sector, though the magnitude of improvement remains small. The results are mixed at the disaggregated level : whereas a majority of industrial groups have gained in terms of technical efficiency, some industries have shown deterioration in their efficiency levels.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200|
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greene, William H., 1990. "A Gamma-distributed stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 141-163.
- Battese, George E. & Corra, Greg S., 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(03), December.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Erol Taymaz & Gülin Saatci, 1997. "Technical Change and Efficiency in Turkish Manufacturing Industries," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 461-475, November.
- Burki, Abid A. & Khan, Mahmood-ul-Hasan, 2004. "Effects of allocative inefficiency on resource allocation and energy substitution in Pakistan's manufacturing," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 371-388, May.
- Alvarez, Roberto & Crespi, Gustavo, 2003. "Determinants of Technical Efficiency in Small Firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 233-244, May.
- ALVARO ANGERIZ & JOHN McCOMBIE & MARK ROBERTS, 2006. "Productivity, Efficiency And Technological Change In European Union Regional Manufacturing: A Data Envelopment Analysis Approach," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 74(4), pages 500-525, 07.
- Stevenson, Rodney E., 1980. "Likelihood functions for generalized stochastic frontier estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 57-66, May.
- Jajri, Idris & Ismail, Rahmah, 2006. "Technical efficiency, technological change and total factor productivity growth in Malaysian manufacturing sector," MPRA Paper 1956, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Afriat, Sidney N, 1972. "Efficiency Estimation of Production Function," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 13(3), pages 568-598, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:macroe:22210. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.