Japanese Aid as a Prerequisite for FDI : The Case of Southeast Asian Countries
This study investigates the nexus between Japans official development assistance and foreign direct investment inflows in Southeast Asian countries. An analysis of the geographical and sectoral decomposition of aid flows reveals that assistance programs were mainly allocated in the form of loans for economic infrastructure projects. This orientation attests that the needs of the recipient country are taken into account but also reveals that it is in keeping with a return on investment. Conditional logit analysis shows that Japanese aid flows did have a significant positive impact on private investors location choice even though other profit-maximising factors such as agglomeration effects or the quality of infrastructure had a leading spill-over effect. In a context of growing scarcity of aid funding, the study concludes by asserting the importance of a complementary process in which foreign aid is directed towards the development of infrastructure, acting as a pre-requisite for future direct investments. Finally, Japan providing an interesting case study, we will stress the need for a better cooperation between the public and private sectors in development assistance programs.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200|
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Egger, Peter & Winner, Hannes, 2006. "How Corruption Influences Foreign Direct Investment: A Panel Data Study," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(2), pages 459-86, January.
- Dudley, Leonard & Montmarquette, Claude, 1976. "A Model of the Supply of Bilateral Foreign Aid," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(1), pages 132-42, March.
- Takatoshi Ito & Anne O. Krueger, 1995. "Introduction to "Growth Theories in Light of the East Asian Experience, NBER-EASE volume 4"," NBER Chapters, in: Growth Theories in Light of the East Asian Experience, NBER-EASE Volume 4, pages 1-6 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David L. Carr & James R. Markusen & Keith E. Maskus, 1998.
"Estimating the Knowledge-Capital Model of the Multinational Enterprise,"
NBER Working Papers
6773, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David L. Carr & James R. Markusen & Keith E. Maskus, 2001. "Estimating the Knowledge-Capital Model of the Multinational Enterprise," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 693-708, June.
- Haider Ali Khan, 2002. "How Effective Is Japanese Foreign Aid? Econometric Results from a Bounded Rationality Model for Indonesia," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-164, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- KIMURA Hidemi & TODO Yasuyuki, 2007. "Is Foreign Aid a Vanguard of FDI? A Gravity-Equation Approach," Discussion papers 07007, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Robert E. Lipsey, 1999. "The Location and Characteristics of U.S. Affiliates in Asia," NBER Working Papers 6876, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Masahiro Kawai & Shinji Takagi, 2004.
"Japan's official development assistance: recent issues and future directions,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(2), pages 255-280.
- Kawai, Masahiro & Takagi, Shinji, 2001. "Japan's official development assistance : recent issues and future directions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2722, The World Bank.
- Iimi, Atsushi, 2004. "(Anti-)Competitive effect of joint bidding: evidence from ODA procurement auctions," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 416-439, September.
- Urata, Shujiro & Kawai, Hiroki, 2000. "The Determinants of the Location of Foreign Direct Investment by Japanese Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 79-103, September.
- Kiichiro Fukasaku & M. Kawai & M. G. Plummer & A. Trzeciak-Duval, 2005. "Policy Coherence Towards East Asia: Development Challenges for OECD Countries," OECD Development Centre Policy Briefs 26, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eab:financ:22767. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.