What matters more in R&D and Capital Expenditures Financing by Japanese Firms:Multinationality or Bank Affiliation?
In this paper, we investigate the relation between cash flow, debt, investment and performance according to whether the firm is multinational (versus domestic), keiretsu (versus independent) or both multinational and keiretsu. Using a Japanese sample of 3024 firm-year observations in the period 2000 to 2002, the results shed lights on the association between financing, investment and performance in the Japanese context. First, they suggest that cash flow is the principal source of financing of both tangible and intangible investment. Second, we find that firms which are both multinational and keiretsu are the most constrained ones regarding capital investments. Finally, for both multinational and domestic firms, bank affiliation alters the relationship between R&D and performance as well as between capital investment and performance.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2 Bd Gabriel, BP 26611, 21066 Dijon Cedex, France|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Angèle Renaud, CREGO, 2 Bd Gabriel, BP 26611, 21066 Dijon Cedex, France|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles J P Chen & C S Agnes Cheng & Jia He & Jawon kim, 1997. "An Investigation of the Relationship between International Activities and Capital Structure," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 28(3), pages 563-577, September.
- Holmstrom, Bengt, 1989. "Agency costs and innovation," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 305-327, December.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-329, May.
- Chan, Su Han & Martin, John D. & Kensinger, John W., 1990. "Corporate research and development expenditures and share value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 255-276, August.
- Hayashi, Fumio & Inoue, Tohru, 1991.
"The Relation between Firm Growth and Q with Multiple Capital Goods: Theory and Evidence from Panel Data on Japanese Firms,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 731-753, May.
- Fumio Hayashi & Tohru Inoue, 1990. "The Relation Between Firm Growth and Q with Multiple Capital Goods: Theory and Evidence from Panel Data on Japanese Firms," NBER Working Papers 3326, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven M. Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & BRUCE C. PETERSEN, 1988. "Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(1), pages 141-206.
- Steven Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1987. "Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment," NBER Working Papers 2387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dittmar, Amy & Mahrt-Smith, Jan & Servaes, Henri, 2003. "International Corporate Governance and Corporate Cash Holdings," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(01), pages 111-133, March.
- Doukas, John & Switzer, Lorne, 1992. "The stock market's valuation of R&D spending and market concentration," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 95-114, May.
- Shin-ichi Fukuda & Ji Cong & Megumi Okui & Kenichi Okuda, 2000. "Long Term Loans and Investment in Japan: An Empirical Analysis Based on the Panel Data of Japanese Firms," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-80, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Doukas, John A. & Pantzalis, Christos, 2003. "Geographic diversification and agency costs of debt of multinational firms," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 59-92, January.
- Bae, Sung C. & Noh, Seungwook, 2001. "Multinational corporations versus domestic corporations: a comparative study of R&D investment activities," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 89-104, February.
- Holmström, Bengt, 1989. "Agency Costs and Innovation," Working Paper Series 214, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Ogawa, Kazuo, 2007. "Debt, R&D investment and technological progress: A panel study of Japanese manufacturing firms' behavior during the 1990s," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 403-423, December.
- Nagaoka, Sadao, 2006. "R&D and market value of Japanese firms in the 1990s," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 155-176, June.
- Fatemi, Ali M., 1988. "The effect of international diversification on corporate financing policy," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 17-30, January.
- Dewenter, Kathryn & Novaes, Walter & Pettway, Richard H, 2001. "Visibility versus Complexity in Business Groups: Evidence from Japanese Keiretsu," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74(1), pages 79-100, January.
- Houston, Joel F & James, Christopher M, 2001. "Do Relationships Have Limits? Banking Relationships, Financial Constraints, and Investment," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74(3), pages 347-374, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dij:wpfarg:1090103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angèle RENAUD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.