New Goodness-of-fit Diagnostics for Conditional Discrete Response Models
This paper proposes new specification tests for conditional models with discrete responses. In particular, we can test the static and dynamic ordered choice model specifications, which is key to apply efficient maximum likelihood methods, to obtain consistent estimates of partial effects and to get appropriate predictions of the probability of future events. The traditional approach is based on probability integral transforms of a jittered discrete data which leads to continuous uniform iid series under the true conditional distribution. We investigate in this paper an alternative transformation based only on original discrete data. We show analytically and in simulations that our approach dominates the traditional approach in terms of power. We apply the new tests to models of the monetary policy conducted by the Federal Reserve.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Igor Kheifets & Carlos Velasco, 2012. "Model Adequacy Checks for Discrete Choice Dynamic Models," Working Papers w0170, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Richard Startz, .
"Binomial Autoregressive Moving Average Models with an Application to U.S. Recessions,"
UWEC-2006-10-FC, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Startz, Richard, 2008. "Binomial Autoregressive Moving Average Models With an Application to U.S. Recessions," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 26, pages 1-8, January.
- Greene,William H. & Hensher,David A., 2010.
"Modeling Ordered Choices,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521142373, November.
- James D. Hamilton & Oscar Jorda, .
"A model for the federal funds rate target,"
Department of Economics
99-07, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Oscar Jorda & James D. Hamilton, 2003. "A model for the federal funds rate target," Working Papers 997, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- James D. Hamilton & Oscar Jorda, 2000. "A Model for the Federal Funds Rate Target," NBER Working Papers 7847, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jushan Bai, 2003. "Testing Parametric Conditional Distributions of Dynamic Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 531-549, August.
- Winfried Stute, 2002. "Model Checks for Generalized Linear Models," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 29(3), pages 535-545.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Carlos Escanciano, J., 2007. "Nonparametric tests for conditional symmetry in dynamic models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 652-682, December.
- Igor Kheifets, 2014. "Specification Tests for Nonlinear Dynamic Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1937, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Oct 2014.
- Dolado, Juan J & Maria-Dolores, Ramon, 2002. " Evaluating Changes in the Bank of Spain's Interest Rate Target: An Alternative Approach Using Marked Point Processes," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 64(2), pages 159-82, May.
- Jung, Robert C. & Kukuk, Martin & Liesenfeld, Roman, 2006. "Time series of count data: modeling, estimation and diagnostics," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 2350-2364, December.
- J.A.F. Machado & J. M. C. Santos Silva, 2003.
"Quantiles for Counts,"
- Giacomini, Raffaella & Politis, Dimitris N. & White, Halbert, 2013.
"A Warp-Speed Method For Conducting Monte Carlo Experiments Involving Bootstrap Estimators,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(03), pages 567-589, June.
- Raffaella Giacomini* & Dimitris N. Politis & Halbert White, 2012. "A warp-speed method for conducting Monte Carlo experiments involving bootstrap estimators," CeMMAP working papers CWP11/12, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Valentina Corradi & Norman R. Swanson, 2003.
"Bootstrap Conditional Distribution Tests In the Presence of Dynamic Misspecification,"
Departmental Working Papers
200311, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Corradi, Valentina & Swanson, Norman R., 2006. "Bootstrap conditional distribution tests in the presence of dynamic misspecification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 779-806, August.
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 1997.
"A Conditional Kolmogorov Test,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(5), pages 1097-1128, September.
- Mora, Juan & Moro-Egido, Ana I., 2008. "On specification testing of ordered discrete choice models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 191-205, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cwl:cwldpp:1924. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matthew C. Regan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.