This paper considers geometric ergodicity and likelihood based inference for linear and nonlinear Poisson autoregressions. In the linear case the conditional mean is linked linearly to its past values as well as the observed values of the Poisson process. This also applies to the conditional variance, making an interpretation as an integer valued GARCH process possible. In a nonlinear conditional Poisson model, the conditional mean is a nonlinear function of its past values and a nonlinear function of past observations. As a particular example an exponential autoregressive Poisson model for time series is considered. Under geometric ergodicity the maximum likelihood estimators of the parameters are shown to be asymptotically Gaussian in the linear model. In addition we provide a consistent estimator of their asymptotic covariance matrix. Our approach to verifying geometric ergodicity proceeds via Markov theory and irreducibility. Finding transparent conditions for proving ergodicity turns out to be a delicate problem in the original model formulation. This problem is circumvented by allowing a perturbation of the model. We show that as the perturbations can be chosen to be arbitrarily small, the differences between the perturbed and non-perturbed versions vanish as far as the asymptotic distribution of the parameter estimates is concerned.
|Date of creation:||24 Mar 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econ.au.dk/afn/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jung, Robert C. & Kukuk, Martin & Liesenfeld, Roman, 2006. "Time series of count data: modeling, estimation and diagnostics," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 2350-2364, December.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2007.
"Ergodicity, mixing, and existence of moments of a class of Markov models with applications to GARCH and ACD models,"
Economics Series Working Papers
327, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Meitz, Mika & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2008. "Ergodicity, Mixing, And Existence Of Moments Of A Class Of Markov Models With Applications To Garch And Acd Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(05), pages 1291-1320, October.
- Meitz, Mika & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2004. "Ergodicity, mixing, and existence of moments of a class of Markov models with applications to GARCH and ACD models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 573, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 20 Apr 2007.
- René Ferland & Alain Latour & Driss Oraichi, 2006. "Integer-Valued GARCH Process," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(6), pages 923-942, November.
- Richard A. Davis, 2003. "Observation-driven models for Poisson counts," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 90(4), pages 777-790, December.
- Jensen, S ren Tolver & Rahbek, Anders, 2007. "On The Law Of Large Numbers For (Geometrically) Ergodic Markov Chains," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(04), pages 761-766, August.
- Robert B. Davies, 2002. "Hypothesis testing when a nuisance parameter is present only under the alternative: Linear model case," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(2), pages 484-489, June.
- Carrasco, Marine & Chen, Xiaohong, 2002. "Mixing And Moment Properties Of Various Garch And Stochastic Volatility Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 17-39, February.
- Jensen, S ren Tolver & Rahbek, Anders, 2004. "Asymptotic Inference For Nonstationary Garch," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(06), pages 1203-1226, December.
- Konstantinos Fokianos & Benjamin Kedem, 2004. "Partial Likelihood Inference For Time Series Following Generalized Linear Models," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(2), pages 173-197, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aah:create:2009-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.