Profile identification via weighted related metric scaling : an application to dependent Spanish children
Disability and dependency (lack of autonomy in performing common everyday actions) affect health status and quality of life, therefore they are significant public health issues. The main purpose of this study is to establish the existing relationship among different variables (continuous, categorical and binary) referred to children between 3 and 6 years old and their functional dependence in basic activities of daily living. We combine different types of information via weighted related metric scaling to obtain homogeneous profiles for dependent Spanish children. The redundant information between groups of variables is modeled with an interaction parameter that can be optimized according to several criteria. In this paper, the goal is to obtain maximum explained variability in an Euclidean configuration. Data comes from the Survey about Disabilities, Personal Autonomy and Dependence Situations, EDAD 2008, (Spanish National Institute of Statistics, 2008)
|Date of creation:||Nov 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://portal.uc3m.es/portal/page/portal/dpto_estadistica|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Leeuw, Jan, 2005. "Modern Multidimensional Scaling: Theory and Applications (Second Edition)," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 14(b04).
- Campbell, Malcolm, 1986. "An Integrated System for Estimating the Risk Premium of Individual Car Models in Motor Insurance," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(02), pages 165-183, November.
- J. Ramsay, 1980. "The joint analysis of direct ratings, pairwise preferences, and dissimilarities," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 45(2), pages 149-165, June.
- Cuadras, C. M. & Fortiana, J., 1995. "A Continuous Metric Scaling Solution for a Random Variable," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Haveman, Robert & Wolfe, Barbara, 2000. "The economics of disability and disability policy," Handbook of Health Economics, in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 18, pages 995-1051 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:wsrepe:ws113628. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Poveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.