Intertemporal Pricing with Unobserved Consumer Arrival Times
We examine optimal selling mechanisms with ex-ante commitment for a nondurable good when the seller does not observe the times at which strategic consumers arrive on the market and how much they are willing to pay for the good. Assuming consumer risk neutrality, we demonstrate in this two-dimensional screening problem that stochastic mechanisms are suboptimal. In practice, this means that quantity rationing and behavior-based price discrimination do not improve the profit compared to a simple time-dependent price schedule. We explain how the optimal profit may be achieved with a first-come first-served policy
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 15 Boulevard Gabriel Peri 92245 Malakoff Cedex|
Phone: 01 41 17 60 81
Web page: http://www.crest.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Drew Fudenberg & Jean Tirole, 1991. "Game Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061414, March.
- Dana, James D, Jr, 2001. "Monopoly Price Dispersion under Demand Uncertainty," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(3), pages 649-70, August.
- Stéphane Gauthier & Guy Laroque, 2014.
"On the value of randomization,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Stéphane Gauthier & Guy Laroque, 2011. "On the value of randomization," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00639834, HAL.
- Stéphane Gauthier & Guy Laroque, 2011. "On the value of randomization," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 11062r, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne, revised Sep 2012.
- Mark Armstrong & Jidong Zhou, 2011.
"Exploding Offers and Buy-Now Discounts,"
11-18, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Mark Armstrong & Jidong Zhou, 2010. "Exploding Offers and Buy-Now Discounts," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2010_44, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Armstrong, Mark & Zhou, Jidong, 2010. "Exploding offers and buy-now discounts," MPRA Paper 24849, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Armstrong, Mark & Zhou, Jidong, 2010. "Exploding offers and buy-now discounts," MPRA Paper 22531, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mark Armstrong & Jidong Zhou, 2011. "Exploding Offers and Buy-Now Discounts," Economics Series Working Papers 575, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Michael Landsberger & Isaac Meilijson, 1985. "Intertemporal Price Discrimination and Sales Strategy under Incomplete Information," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(3), pages 424-430, Autumn.
- Marc Möller & Makoto Watanabe, 2010. "Advance Purchase Discounts Versus Clearance Sales," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 120(547), pages 1125-1148, 09.
- Volker Nocke & Martin Peitz, 2007. "A Theory of Clearance Sales," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(522), pages 964-990, 07.
- Strausz, Roland, 2006.
"Deterministic versus stochastic mechanisms in principal-agent models,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 306-314, May.
- Roland Strausz, . "Deterministic versus Stochastic Mechanisms in Principal--Agent Models," Papers 020, Departmental Working Papers.
- Pascal Courty & Li Hao, 2000.
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 67(4), pages 697-717.
- Kalyan Talluri & Garrett van Ryzin, 2004. "Revenue Management Under a General Discrete Choice Model of Consumer Behavior," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(1), pages 15-33, January.
- Simon Board, 2008. "Durable-Goods Monopoly with Varying Demand," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 75(2), pages 391-413.
- Gale, Ian L & Holmes, Thomas J, 1993.
"Advance-Purchase Discounts and Monopoly Allocation of Capacity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 135-46, March.
- Gale, I.L. & Holmes, T.J., 1990. "Advance-Purchase Discounts And Monopoly Allocation Of Capacity," Working papers 9005, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Gershkov, Alex & Moldovanu, Benny, 2012. "Dynamic allocation and pricing: A mechanism design approach," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 283-286.
- Nancy L. Stokey, 1979. "Intertemporal Price Discrimination," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 93(3), pages 355-371.
- Wilson, Charles A, 1988. "On the Optimal Pricing Policy of a Monopolist," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 164-176, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crs:wpaper:2012-23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Florian Sallaberry)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.