Vertical Integration and Dis-integration of Computer Firms: A History Friendly Model of the Co-evolution of the Computer and Semiconductor Industries
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Franco Malerba & Richard Nelson & Luigi Orsenigo & Sidney Winter, 2008. "Vertical integration and disintegration of computer firms: a history-friendly model of the coevolution of the computer and semiconductor industries," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(2), pages 197-231, April.
- Franco Malerba & Richard Nelson & Luigi Orsenigo & Sidney Winter, 2006. "Vertical Integration and Dis-integration of Computer Firms: A History Friendly Model of the Co-evolution of the Computer and Semiconductor Industries," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2006-19, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
References listed on IDEAS
- Utterback, James M & Abernathy, William J, 1975. "A dynamic model of process and product innovation," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 3(6), pages 639-656, December.
- Klepper, Steven, 1996. "Entry, Exit, Growth, and Innovation over the Product Life Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 562-583, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christian Garavaglia & Franco Malerba & Luigi Orsenigo & Michele Pezzoni, 2012.
"Technological regimes and demand structure in the evolution of the pharmaceutical industry,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 22(4), pages 677-709, September.
- Christian Garavaglia & Michele Pezzoni & Luigi Orsenigo & Franco Malerba, 2012. "Technological regimes and demand structure in the evolution of the pharmaceutical industry," Post-Print halshs-01074513, HAL.
- Roberto Fontana & Lorenzo Zirulia, 2015.
"“…then came Cisco, and the rest is history”: a ‘history friendly’ model of the Local Area Networking industry,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 25(5), pages 875-899, November.
- R. Fontana & L. Zirulia, 2015. "“…then came Cisco, and the rest is history”: a ‘history friendly’ model of the Local Area Networking industry," Working Papers wp993, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Dosi, Giovanni & Nelson, Richard R., 2010.
"Technical Change and Industrial Dynamics as Evolutionary Processes,"
Handbook of the Economics of Innovation,
- Giovanni Dosi & Richard R. Nelson, 2009. "Technical Change and Industrial Dynamics as Evolutionary Processes," LEM Papers Series 2009/07, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- repec:spr:eurasi:v:9:y:2019:i:1:d:10.1007_s40821-019-00121-0 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michael G. Jacobides & Sidney G. Winter, 2012. "Capabilities: Structure, Agency, and Evolution," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(5), pages 1365-1381, October.
- Fabio Pieri, 2015. "Vertical organization of production and firm growth behavior," Working Papers 1508, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
- Fabio Pieri, 2018.
"Vertical organization of production and firm growth,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 27(1), pages 83-106.
- Fabio Pieri, 2016. "Vertical organization of production and firm growth," DEM Working Papers 2016/01, Department of Economics and Management.
- Garavaglia Christian & Malerba Franco & Orsenigo Luigi & Pezzoni Michele, 2014.
"Innovation and Market Structure in Pharmaceuticals: An Econometric Analysis on Simulated Data,"
Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik),
De Gruyter, vol. 234(2-3), pages 274-298, April.
- Christian Garavaglia & Franco Malerba & Luigi Orsenigo & Michele Pezzoni, 2014. "Innovation and Market Structure in Pharmaceuticals: An Econometric Analysis on Simulated Data," Post-Print halshs-01074524, HAL.
- Marie-Claude BELIS-BERGOUIGNAN, 2009. "An evolutionist analysis of sectoral dynamics (In French)," Cahiers du GREThA 2009-18, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée (GREThA).
- Ammon J. Salter & Maureen McKelvey, 2016. "Evolutionary analysis of innovation and entrepreneurship: Sidney G. Winter—recipient of the 2015 Global Award for Entrepreneurship Research," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 47(1), pages 1-14, June.
- repec:bla:stratm:v:38:y:2017:i:3:p:609-625 is not listed on IDEAS
- Malerba, Franco & Nelson, Richard & Orsenigo, Luigi & Winter, Sidney, 2008.
"Public policies and changing boundaries of firms in a "history-friendly" model of the co-evolution of the computer and semiconductor industries,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 355-380, August.
- Franco Malerba & Richard Nelson & Luigi Orsenigo & Sidney Winter, 2007. "Public Policies and Changing Boundaries of Firms in a "History Friendly" Model of the Co-evolution of the Computer and Semiconductor Industries," KITeS Working Papers 201, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jun 2007.
- Rahul Kapoor, 2013. "Persistence of Integration in the Face of Specialization: How Firms Navigated the Winds of Disintegration and Shaped the Architecture of the Semiconductor Industry," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(4), pages 1195-1213, August.
- Thomas Brenner & Johann Peter Murmann, 2016. "Using simulation experiments to test historical explanations: the development of the German dye industry 1857-1913," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 907-932, October.
- repec:kap:compec:v:52:y:2018:i:3:d:10.1007_s10614-017-9773-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Carlsson , Bo, 2016. "Industrial Dynamics: A Review of the Literature 1990-2009," Papers in Innovation Studies 2016/3, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- repec:eee:respol:v:48:y:2019:i:3:p:649-664 is not listed on IDEAS
- Aghion, Philippe & David, Paul A. & Foray, Dominique, 2009.
"Science, technology and innovation for economic growth: Linking policy research and practice in 'STIG Systems',"
Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 681-693, May.
- David, Paul & Aghion, Philippe, 2008. "Science, Technology and Innovation for Economic Growth: Linking Policy Research and Practice in "STIG Systems"," MPRA Paper 12096, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Antonio Revilla & Zulima Fernández, 2013. "Environmental Dynamism, Firm Size and the Economic Productivity of R&D," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(6), pages 503-522, August.
- repec:spr:italej:v:3:y:2017:i:3:d:10.1007_s40797-017-0049-z is not listed on IDEAS
- Arora, Ashish & Gambardella, Alfonso, 2010. "The Market for Technology," Handbook of the Economics of Innovation, Elsevier.
- Alessandro Manello & Giuseppe G. Calabrese & Piercarlo Frigero, 2016. "Technical efficiency and productivity growth along the automotive value chain: evidence from Italy," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(2), pages 245-259.
- Stephan Manning & Silvia Massini & Carine Peeters & Arie Lewin, 2012. "Global Co-Evolution of Firm Boundaries: Process Commoditization, Capabilities Development, and Path Dependencies," Working Papers CEB 12-009, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
More about this item
KeywordsIndustrial Dynamics; Vertical Integration; Specialization; Technology.;
- O30 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Innovation; Research and Development; Technological Change; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-COM-2007-04-28 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-HIS-2007-04-28 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-ICT-2007-04-28 (Information & Communication Technologies)
- NEP-INO-2007-04-28 (Innovation)
- NEP-MIC-2007-04-28 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-TID-2007-04-28 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cri:cespri:wp191. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valerio Sterzi) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Valerio Sterzi to update the entry or send us the correct email address. General contact details of provider: http://www.kites.unibocconi.it/ .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.