Optimal portfolio allocation for corporate pension funds
We model the asset allocation decision of a stylized corporate defined benefit pension plan in the presence of hedgeable and unhedgeable risks. We assume that plan fiduciaries--who make the asset allocation decision--face non-linear payoffs linked to the plan’s funding status because of the presence of pension insurance and a sponsoring employer who may share any shortfall or pension surplus. We find that even simple asymmetries in payoffs have large and highly persistent effects on asset allocation, while unhedgeable risks exert only a small effect. We conclude that institutional details are crucial in understanding DB pension asset allocation.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Treynor, Jack L, 1977. "The Principles of Corporate Pension Finance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 627-38, May.
- Roel M. W. J. Beetsma & A. Lans Bovenberg, 2009. "Pensions and Intergenerational Risk-sharing in General Equilibrium," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 76(302), pages 364-386, 04.
- Marcus, Alan J, 1985. " Spinoff-Terminations and the Value of Pension Insurance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 911-24, July.
- Andreas Graflund & Birger Nilsson, 2003.
"Dynamic Portfolio Selection: the Relevance of Switching Regimes and Investment Horizon,"
European Financial Management,
European Financial Management Association, vol. 9(2), pages 179-200.
- Graflund, Andreas & Nilsson, Birger, 2002. "Dynamic Portfolio Selection: The Relevance of Switching Regimes and Investment Horizon," Working Papers 2002:8, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Sharpe, William F., 1976. "Corporate pension funding policy," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 183-193, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:8198. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.