Entrepreneurship: Origins and Returns
We examine the origins and outcome of entrepreneurship on the basis of exceptionally comprehensive Norwegian matched worker-firm-owner data. In contrast to most existing studies, our notion of entrepreneurship not only comprises self-employment, but also employment in partly self-owned limited liability firms. Based on this extended entrepreneurship concept, we find that entrepreneurship tends to be profitable. It also raises in-come uncertainty, but the most successful quartile gains much more than the least successful quartile loses. Key determinants of the decision to become an entrepreneur are occupational qualifications, family resources, gender, and work environments. Individual unemployment encourages, while aggregate unemployment discourages entrepreneurship.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven Klepper & Sally Sleeper, 2005.
"Entry by Spinoffs,"
INFORMS, vol. 51(8), pages 1291-1306, August.
- Ari Hyytinen & Mika Maliranta, 2008. "When Do Employees Leave Their Job for Entrepreneurship?," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 110(1), pages 1-21, 03.
- Santarelli, Enrico & Vivarelli, Marco, 2006.
"Entrepreneurship and the Process of Firms’ Entry, Survival and Growth,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2475, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Enrico Santarelli & Marco Vivarelli, 2007. "Entrepreneurship and the process of firms’ entry, survival and growth," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 455-488, June.
- Murat F. Iyigun & Ann L. Owen, 1997.
"Risk, entrepreneurship and human capital accumulation,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1997-37, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Iyigun, Murat F & Owen, Ann L, 1998. "Risk, Entrepreneurship, and Human-Capital Accumulation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 454-57, May.
- Hellmann, Thomas F., 2002.
"When Do Employees Become Entrepreneurs?,"
1770, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- HansK. Hvide, 2009.
"The Quality of Entrepreneurs,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(539), pages 1010-1035, 07.
- C. Praag & Peter Versloot, 2007.
"What is the value of entrepreneurship? A review of recent research,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 351-382, December.
- C. Mirjam van Praag & Peter H. Versloot, 2007. "What is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 07-066/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- van Praag, Mirjam C. & Versloot, Peter H., 2007. "What Is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research," IZA Discussion Papers 3014, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- C. Mirjam van Praag & Peter H. Versloot, 2007. "What is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research," Jena Economic Research Papers 2007-061, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Bernt Bratsberg & OddbjÃ¸rn Raaum & Knut RÃ¸ed, 2010.
"When Minority Labor Migrants Meet the Welfare State,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(3), pages 633-676, 07.
- Bratsberg, Bernt & Raaum, Oddbjørn & Røed, Knut, 2007. "When Minority Labor Migrants Meet the Welfare State," IZA Discussion Papers 2872, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bernt Bratsberg & Oddbjorn Raaum & Knut Roed, 2008. "When Minority Labor Migrants Meet the Welfare State," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 0817, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Sergio Firpo, 2004.
"Efficient Semiparametric Estimation of Quantile Treatment Effects,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
605, Econometric Society.
- Sergio Firpo, 2007. "Efficient Semiparametric Estimation of Quantile Treatment Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(1), pages 259-276, 01.
- Parker,Simon C., 2006.
"The Economics of Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521030632, 1.
- Parker,Simon C., 2004. "The Economics of Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521828130, 1.
- Schumpeter, Joseph A., 1947. "The Creative Response in Economic History," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 149-159, November.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Maliranta, Mika, 2006. "When Do Employees Leave Their Job for Entrepreneurship: Evidence from Linked Employer-Employee Data," Discussion Papers 1023, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Paul Gompers & Josh Lerner & David Scharfstein, 2005. "Entrepreneurial Spawning: Public Corporations and the Genesis of New Ventures, 1986 to 1999," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(2), pages 577-614, 04.
- von Greiff, Jenny, 2009. "Displacement and self-employment entry," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 556-565, October.
- Raaum, Oddbjørn & Bratsberg, Bernt & Røed, Knut & Österbacka, Eva & Eriksson, Tor & Jäntti, Markus & Naylor, Robin, 2007.
"Marital Sorting, Household Labor Supply, and Intergenerational Earnings Mobility across Countries,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3037, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Raaum Oddbjørn & Bratsberg Bernt & Røed Knut & Österbacka Eva & Eriksson Tor & Jäntti Markus & Naylor Robin A, 2008. "Marital Sorting, Household Labor Supply, and Intergenerational Earnings Mobility across Countries," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 7(2), pages 1-49, January.
- Raaum, Oddbjørn & Bratsberg, Bernt & Røed, Knut & Österbacka , Eva & Eriksson, Tor & Jäntti, Markus & Naylor, Robin, 2007. "Marital Sorting, Household Labor Supply, and Intergenerational Earnings Mobility across Countries," Memorandum 17/2007, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Justin van der Sluis & Mirjam van Praag & Wim Vijverberg, 2008. "Education And Entrepreneurship Selection And Performance: A Review Of The Empirical Literature," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(5), pages 795-841, December.
- Barton H. Hamilton, 2000. "Does Entrepreneurship Pay? An Empirical Analysis of the Returns to Self-Employment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(3), pages 604-631, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:7360. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.