Shocking Aspects of Canadian Labour Markets
We analyze the flexibility of the Canadian labour market across provinces in both an inter- and intra-national context using macroeconomic data on employment, unemployment, participation, and (for Canada) migration and real wages. We find that Canadian labour markets respond in a similar manner to their U.S. counterparts and are more flexible than those in major euro area countries. Within Canada, the results indicate that labour markets in Ontario and provinces further west are more flexible, particularly with regard to migration, while those further east are less so.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Decressin, Jorg & Fatas, Antonio, 1995.
"Regional labor market dynamics in Europe,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1627-1655, December.
- Decressin, Jörg & Fatás, Antonio, 1994. "Regional Labour Market Dynamics in Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 1085, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1992. "Regional Evolutions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(1), pages 1-76.
- Gersbach, Hans, 2003. "Structural Reforms and the Macroeconomy: The Role of General Equilibrium Effects," IZA Discussion Papers 833, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gersbach, Hans, 2003. "Structural Reforms and the Macroeconomy: The Role of General Equilibrium Effects," CEPR Discussion Papers 4043, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- International Monetary Fund, 2005. "Canada; Staff Report for the 2005 Article IV Consultation," IMF Staff Country Reports 05/118, International Monetary Fund. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)